Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte H Cocksedge

mmm45

Could someone with SDGW please look up the details for 7487 Pte Henry Cocksedge,Northumberland Fusiliers.Has anyone any idea when he would have joined up it must be pre 1916 as i have is 1914-15 Star.

Thanks Ady.

Andy, have you any further details? My SDGW is on loan at present, but looking at the battalion history I can't find him listed, and it has a very thorough nominal roll and Roll of Honour.

In that battalion, early joiners were given numbers prefixe thus: "16/", followed by a number starting at 1 and going on to about 2,000. The 7487 might indicate he served in another battalion beforehand and was transferred. Is it possible his Star is actuallt 1/6th Battalion? As the 16th Bn didn't arrive in France until November 1915, I would guess anyone with a 15 Star would have had to be an early member of the batt, which possibly makes the 7487 number more unlikely.

Any extra information would help.

Just looked him up on CWGG; I see he died on 21.9.17, and is loisted as 16th Bn. I see he died in the Nieuport area (where the Bn was at the time). Not much in the history - holding the line; big raid made on about the 15th (heavy casualties unspecified), relieved on 17th and back in line on about 21st.

Given the number and the lack of info in the history, I guess he came in from another Battalion, but can't help more, I'm afraid.

Just looked him up on CWGG; I see he died on 21.9.17, and is loisted as 16th Bn. I see he died in the Nieuport area (where the Bn was at the time). Not much in the history - holding the line; big raid made on about the 15th (heavy casualties unspecified), relieved on 17th and back in line on about 21st.

Given the number and the lack of info in the history, I guess he came in from another Battalion, but can't help more, I'm afraid.

Cheers Steve

Thats where i got the info from.Hopefully SDGW may provide a bit more info.Am sure the bloke was originally from Cleckheaton West Yorkshire.

Ady

Hi Ady, :)

SDGW records

7487 Pte Henry Cocksedge

16th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Born London

Enlisted Cleckheaton, Yorkshire

No place of residence given.

Killed in Action 21-9-17.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Tim.

Lots of guesses but not quite right;-

7487 Pte Henry Cocksedge first served with the 11th(Service)Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers. He was then transferred to the 27th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(4th Tyneside Irish) with whom he is recorded as being wounded in March 1917. On recovery he was finally transferred to the 16th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(Newcastle) with whom he was killed.

Sources - SDGW, St.Georges Gazette; Medal Roll Sheet & CWGC.

Graham.

Nice one Graham.