Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Harry Callear, Grimsby Chums

AndyJohnson

Sgt Harry Callear of the Grimsby Chums (10th Lincs) was killed at La Boisselle on July 1st 1916, he is buried at Cerisy-Gailly some 15km distance from La Boisselle. I always thought it strange that he was killed not wounded, but ended up so far away. Paul Reed suggested that this could have been a late battlefield clearance when there were no 'local' cemeteries open for business. Of course Paul was correct.

I now know that Harry was originally buried at 57d. X.20. a.3.4. and was buried at Cerisy no later than 1925.

Can any pal identify the above map reference?

Regards

Andy

andy,sgt callear of D coy was shot dead a few yards from his start line,the map ref will probably be around the area of Dcoy start line,out of the 64 in harrys platoon only 10 were left unhurt,he was the most popular NCO in the battalion,bernard

ps is he a relative

Hi Andy

If no one does it today, i will post a map of the location tonight when i get home.

Moving on to another of the Tipton Chums that we discussed a while ago, and who originally was with Caeller in D Coy, Pte. 863 William Key. If you remember he is listed with the CWGC as 1st Lincs which i thought was a mistake, but it seems i was wrong. The Red Cross Enguiry list for September 1916 does have alos as 10th Lincs, but when i checked on the Medal Rolls he is actually listed as transferred from the 10th Lincs to the 1st Lincs (unfortunately no date). I wonder if there was a special reason for his transfer?

Chris

andy,clifford beels No9, 10th lincolns was killed running alongside sgt callear but he has no grave,pte john,william coddington was also killed near to sgt callear,coddington is buried in gordon dump,he was major vignoles servant,bernard

Bernard

Thanks for your reply. Callear is one of my Tipton men, he was a teacher at a school in Tipton and the pupils/staff had a commemorative plaque erected in the school in his honour. This was unveiled by John Norton-Griffiths local MP (of mining fame) and Joseph Davies VC who was a past pupil of the same school.

Last year the school was demolished/rebuilt and we had the plaque refurbished and put in the new school. I also had a sepia portrait of Harry (page 75 of the Chapman book) done by a talented artist friend, this now hangs alongside the plaque.

I didn't know of the picture in the Grimsby Chums book (or that the 10 Lincs were the Grimsby Chums !) until I was going to visit Harry's grave at Cerisy-Gailly. I was staying at Avril's in Auchonvillers the night before the visit and after dinner just picked up this book. Flicking through the pages I came across this picture of him - hairs on the back of your neck job !

Chris

The map would be most appreciated. The extra info on Keys is interesting, like yourself I always thought that his designation as 1st Lincs was suspect but your extra info seems to confirm it corcect - re-assigned after hospital stay possibly ?

Photos of Callear's plaque & portrait to follow...

post-5672-1138232240.jpg

post-5672-1138232290.jpg

Andy

My apologies, but i fear Mrs Bailey has moved my trench map CD during one of her sweeps. I have spent a while looking for it and cannot find. As soon as it surfaces i will post a map showing the location

Chris

Dave

Thanks for the information, I imagined that it would be near where the Chums went over the op on the 1st. I can see that this is rather close to Lochnager Crater - do you know precisely where the crrater is on the map?

Strange to think that this man saw Lochnager Crater when it was in the air!

Thanks again

Andy

Chris

I hope your trench-map CD turns up.