Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Samual Williams 9th Bn MMG Corp

Guest Standtoo

Hi

I am new to all this but I became interested when my brother located our great uncle grave two years ago. My mother as a little girl only new him as a photo on the wall of her grandparents home and he wasnt talked about much. I understand he inlisted underage in 1915 against the wishes of his family. Tom enlisted into the Royal Welch Fusilers in 1915. He then at some time was sent to become a MMG gunner. We know he trained at Grantham. we understand he joined 26 Company MMG that supported 26 Bdg 9th(scotish) Div. 9th Div was in action on the Somme,Pacendale, Ypres. With what we have found out we understand his MMG company was in an action around St Elio Ypres 25 April 1918 when his position was overrun by German stormtroopers.(The 9th Div account commends them as those gallant machine Gunners). Tom was reported missing on this day, however his grave is in Cortrie many miles behind German lines at this point of the war. His headstone states he died 26 May 1918 some one month after his capture.

Question: 1.would he have died of his wounds after one month? 2 did the germans shoot prisoners. 3 is there anybody out there who knows of soldiers/prisoners in 9th(scotish) Div

any information would be helpful

cheers

Hi, :)

This is what Soldiers Died in the Great War states

36812 Pte Thomas Samuel Williams

Machine Gun Corps [infantry]

Born Gwersyllt, Denbigh

Enlisted Gwersllt Hill

Residence Moss

Died of Wounds 26-5-18

Formally 7294 R.W. Fusiliers.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim.

Standto,

I have an interest in the 9th Div of this period as my grandfather served with the Seaforths in this unit.

I guess you have read the history of the 9th Div? They had been railed up from the Somme at the beginning of April, to take part in the defence around the Ypres area at the time of the German 1918 Spring offensive. By the end of April the division had seen serious losses and were withdrawn from action during most of May. They eventually took part in the 4th battle of Ypres, and helped push the German forces back to, and around, Courtrai (today named Kortrijk) where your relative is buried.

Have you written to the CWGC? It may be that they have a little info since he was a POW. The Red Cross hold POW records but I beleive they do not readily give out this information? There have been a few postings on the forum in recent months about POWs (see the Home & POW section).

Of course I cannot comment on the German treatment of this particular soldier, but I somehow doubt he was just shot, but rather died of wounds, as SDGW suggests.

Ian