Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help, please, deciphering a Canadian cap ribbon

scottiedog

Hi all

The following photo snippet is of my great uncle George. As far as I can tell he served with the RNCVR (Royal Navy Canadian Volunteer Reserve). He served on HMCS Niobe and was present in Halifax at the time of the Mont Blanc explosion on December 6th 1917.

But ... I know the photo isn't too clear, but the lettering on the cap ribbon looks more like RSCVR ! Please, can anyone out there help me work out what this ribbon indicates?

Thanks in advance

Les

post-10470-1138127870.jpg

I can see the problem, but I believe the second letter is definitely an N.

I think the problem is caused by the N having a broad diagonal stroke with two much thinner uprights, each of which have slightly thicker ends, thus giving the impression of an S.

Another reason for going with N is that it gives a known acronym. I have never heard of anything being referred to as RSCVR.

Best wishes

David

OK, thanks for the replies chaps.

I guess if no one knows of an RSCVR acronym, it must indeed be an N.

I'm taking it that the Pacific on the other side of crown refers to his recruitment division, i.e. he joined up somewhere on the west coast of Canada.

Thanks again

Les

OK, thanks for the replies chaps.

I guess if no one knows of an RSCVR acronym, it must indeed be an N.

I'm taking it that the Pacific on the other side of crown refers to his recruitment division, i.e. he joined up somewhere on the west coast of Canada.

Thanks again

Les

I'd agree with that - I think the 3 divisions were originally Pacific, Atlantic, and Lake (for the inland areas), but a lot of Rainbow's crew ended up on the east coast when she was withdrawn from patrolling - after Spee's squadron was dealt with, there wasn't much left in the way of pacific ocean threat.

Its RNCVR (crown)PACIFIC

There were three divisions of the RNCVR in WWI - RNCVR Atlantic, Pacific & Central.

There are varients of this cap ribbon - some show an anchor surmounted by a crown. I'll try to post one if I can find it!

Bryan

Les,

Further to my post above, his SR will be available in PAC Ottawa, its wont be online as are the CEF records - you would have to write to request it.

It would help a lot if yohave his Official number.

Bryan

Thanks, Bryan.

Yes, I have what I think is his service number and I've located his service records in Canadian National Archives. I'm waiting for a copy of his pay ledger sheet which I think should provide most of the information I'm looking for.

Thanks again

Les

There is not a whole lot of info in the WWI RNCVR & RCN files Les but what is there should give you a good idea of his WWI service.

His On should be a 4 or 5 digit number & it may be prefixed by a V.

I have located a coupe RNCVRcap ribbopns & I'll post them separately.

Bryan

I was unable to locate my RNCVR Pacific cap ribbon but I have shown an RNCVR Atlantic example below.

Note the difference in the crown in the centre - to the best of my knowledge there were two varients - the crown as shown in yr photo above & this one with the anchor below. & There could well be others as well.

later in the war when the three Divisons were amalgamated the crown & anchor was dropped & only RNCVR was shown & I'll show an example of that one as well.

Bryan

post-1536-1138563738.jpg

& here is the R.N.C.V.R. cap ribbon.

Bryan

post-1536-1138564052.jpg

Bryan - thanks for those images of the ribbons. They're really useful because I can see now how the "N" could end up looking like an "S".

Yes, I'm sure now it's RNVCR - thanks.

The service number I have is VR 1498 - does that seem right?

Les

Yes definitely Les - he would be a 1914 or '15 entry.