Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte A.W. Sides ASC

Guest djsides

I'm trying to find out more about what and where my Grandfather was/did in the Great War.

He did survive the war, but all I have to go on are his medals and MIC (click image for full size)

th_31ac4_Image1.jpg

which are not very helpfull.

I also have some postcards to his children, which were sent from Torino & Taranto in Italy. Those that are dated, are from May 1918 and later.

Was his active service throughout the war, or just near the end?

Is there anyway to determine when he enlisted or was called up?

Regards

Dave

"A/" would appear to indicate he was in the Horse Transport trade - over to the experts for more dates

The only Archibald Saides I could find on th 1901 census was 21 years old living on oxford and a grocer. Is that him? at the outbreak of war would be 35 . With kids this would have put him way down the order for conscription 38 in 1917, he may have volunteered though. Gareth

Yes thats him, he married in 1906 and had 4 children before the war broke out,

and was living in Southwell, Nottinghamshire if thats relevant.

He was born Jan 1880, so would have been 34 in 1914.

Are you actually saying that men of particular ages were called-up in specific years?

If so, that may help explain why I believe he only saw active service in the latter part of the war.

Whether he volunteered earlier is of course one of the facts I don't know.

The postcards from Italy, in the main undated, provide slight evidence that he may not have been demobbed until the summer of 1919 or even later.

Thanks for the replies

Dave

Checking the Corps history, there is no mention of ASC stationed in Taranto; do the cards give a clue to show if he was heading to or returning from somewhere else?

If so, that may help explain why I believe he only saw active service in the latter part of the war.

My Great Grandad (avatar pic) Denis McEvoy MM was 35 when he signed up on 6th December 1915, married with 4 kids, and he went "To Army Reserve". He finally got over to France 11th August 1917, nearly two years later. I believe that because of his marital and parental status, his going over was left as late as possible.

If you can get his service records you'll be able to find out the exact dates and other stuff besides. Worth a shot, his records may have survived.....never know.