Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yeomanry

Guest wrinklyone

Guest wrinklyone

One of my ancesters is shown on his medal card as serving with the County of London Yeomanry. The only award listed is 'TFE medal, under army order 186 of 1 July 1909'.

Sid's Law applies, and his personal service file is one of the irretrievables, so I have no further information about him.

As he didn't get Pip, Squeak or Wilfred presumably he never left UK? TFE? A terriers' award? And is anything known of the CoLY please ( I suspect that he was a gin-and-tonic weekend soldier)?

Although the squadron can trace its history back to 1583 through the Yellow Company of London Trained Bands, the true history began in 1794 with the raising of the East Kent Regiment of Yeomanry and the West Kent Yeomanry. The 3rd County of Imperial Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) were raised in 1900 for the Boer War. The Kent Yeomanry Regiments became one at the start of World War I and served with the 3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters) at Gallipoli and at the capture of Jerusalem. Both regiments also served in France and Flanders until the end of the war.

I have no idea.....