Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

Guest k yates

Hi

Ok to start with this is my 1st post in my long quest to research my family. so why am i here hopefully i can explaine

I wasnt getting anywhere going through normal family. But i had the name of my mum's, dad's brother (hope that makes sence) I have traced him throught the war graves web site, and now have his medal card details.

on this it has a roll number with page.

So what info could i get if i took it to the Nation archive

Kevin

hope that makes sense

From the MiC details you can get the Medal Roll Page{the Reference on the MiC}this carries the same information as the Card{both were tools of the Records Offices} but sometimes has Battalion Number on & other information,but not much more.There might be a posibility that his/their Service Papers Survive;for which you will need name;number;rank etc to locate.

Hi

Ok to start with this is my 1st post in my long quest to research my family. so why am i here hopefully i can explaine

I wasnt getting anywhere going through normal family. But i had the name of my mum's, dad's brother (hope that makes sence) I have traced him throught the war graves web site, and now have his medal card details.

on this it has a roll number with page.

So what info could i get if i took it to the Nation archive

Kevin

hope that makes sense

On the card and from the war graves i have his rank, army no, regt. also on the card i believe the regt no.

is there any way to search that nuber to get info on the regiment. or would that be done at Kew

Kevin

Kevin,

At the top of this very page is a link to one of the best sources of information on the British Army in the Great War. Click the link to the Long, Long Trail and read the pages on Research a Soldier/For Genealogists and for this query - Army organisation/for Military Historians.

The Regimental pages will show you which Divisions the Battalion fought with. This is largely an overview but drill down further for more detail on most battles.

If you need any more detailed information, the Forum will no doubt oblige.

Good luck in your search,

Steve.

Kev

Perhaps post the images of the Medal Cards here ? Plus anything else you've got.....amazing what some folk here can dig up. But give all your information first, dude.