Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

254th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on where this battery was up to and including 21 April 1917. My mothers cousin was killed with them on that day.

I can't seem to find any reference to them in any of my RA History Books.

Thanks for looking.

Stewart

Stewart

A war diary exists at Kew ( National Archive) under the following ref:-

WO 95/209 254 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 Feb. - Aug.

The NA will, for a fee of course, copy the relevent pages and post them on. The number of pages involved and content therein varies from diary to diary but I'm fairly sure they will do a search/quotation for 10 English pounds. If you order the diary the £10 is deducted, you might want to double check that first.

Stuart

:) Hello,

Thanks for the post. i've orderd a couple of items from Kew in the past, very good, fast service. I'm thinking about ordering the war diary, but just thought I do a post here, just to see if there were any Pals with information. It's amazing what some of them have ! Books I've never see or heard of.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

Don't know if this is of any use to you - 254th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were formed on the Tay Defences on the 13th September 1916.

On the 28th December 1917 sections from 87th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. and 254th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were removed and used to re-form 258th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. which had been broken up on the 20th December 1917.

On the 22nd February 1918 448th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and one section joined 149th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A., another section joined 254th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. and one other joined 174th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.

By November 1918 254th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were serving as Army Troops with 1st(Mobile)Brigade,R.G.A., First Army. The Bde consisted of the following units;-

16th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

21st(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

49th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

254th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

The Battery was to continue in service into 1919, but was eventually disbanded at Lydd on the 11th May 1919.

Sorry have no information regarding overseas service.

Graham.

:) Hello Graham,

That's very interesting because the chap I am researching {William Gibb [formerlly Stewart]} is listed in SDGW as having served with the North Scottish RGA. They had 4 Bty's, one was stationed at Broughty Ferry Castle, Dundee. Willie was born in Buckie, Banffshire, but his step dad was working for the railways and the family was just south of Pitlochry during the war. Willie lived with the family, but is noted as being a plumber in Dundee. It probable that he would have been at Broughty Castle.

He was a cousin of my Mums, and was engaged to one of her aunts. This aunt was a nures during the war and a district nurse after the war, she fell at work, in 1924 and Died one month later!!! She had never been in great health since Willie died.

Do you think 254 Bty had been part of N Scottish RGA when it was formed ?

Better go back to work now!

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

transcript from the 254th war diary for the 21st Apr 1917. "Position Arras. Bombardment of German positions recommenced. Fired 600 rounds. A HV shell hit the cook house and unearthed it. Gn Gibbs killed, Gn Palmer seriously wounded and Gn Harrison slightly wounded". Seems your poor man was very unlucky and just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Regards Paul

:D Hello Paul,

You've made my week. I can't believe that he is named in the war diary. Thanks very much for sending me an image of the page. It's great to see the original. I bet he's not the first Soldier to die in a cook house ! I remember the cook house at Woolwhich was not up to much, and when I went to the RHA we used to watch the cockroaches climb the walls and take bets on which one would hit the condensation first and slide down.

My Granddad used to speak often about Willie Gibb. He was only about 10 when Willie was killed, but I think it was a shock to him, also Granddad's older brother was at the front with the 6th Gordon's, so that probably made him think more on him.

I hope to go to Tilloy Les Mofflaines this year, to visit his grave. i don't think anyone from the family has ever been to it.

Very many thanks,

Stewart

Stewart,

As far as I'm aware North Scottish R.G.A. had nothing to do with 254th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A., infact my sources say that half of N.S.R.G.A. actually went to form 67th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. which was formed at Dover on the 9th October 1915. At the same time there is nothing to stop the transfer of men from one unit to another to form new batteries as they were required.

Considering 254th(Siege)Bty wasn't formed until the following year it's possible he may have either remained at Dover after the formation of 67th(Siege)Bty and gone onto 254th(Siege)Bty. There again he may been part of 67th(Siege)Bty and either been wounded or taken sick and returned to the UK and on recovery may have been posted to 254th(Siege)Bty.

The theories are endless, but without his service record you're just clutching at straws as to how he got there.

Graham.

Hello Graham,

That knocks that straight forward theory on the head :huh: . A press notice I have states he went to France in Feb. 1917. One of the items that has come down through the family is a card send by him to his fiance. It's dated 12 June 1916 and marked ''Mansfield''. He must have been there during his military service, as in civil life he either worked in Pitlochry or Dundee. Also, it's a military style WW1 Photogrphic PC, and he talks about hundreds of them being there and that he will send word when he gets moved elsewhere. Was there an RA training unit at Mansfield ?

I've not, as yet tried to get his service papers. I should give it a try, i've just never had much luck with service papers, like most people.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello All,

Here is a photo of Willie Gibb and Annie Stewart. I thought some Pals would like to see the people in question, it makes the historical information more human.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Regards

Stewart

post-3488-1139059347.jpg