Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field and General officer rank

Muerrisch

This from another thread:

QUOTE(angie999 @ Jan 21 2006, 12:29 PM)

Officers up to and including Captain are technically all subalterns and strictly speaking they are Misters, although this is not usually applied to captains.

LB1418 query: Fascinating: I understood Captains were a category of their own. I do not dispute that you are right, but I would like, as it were, chapter and verse. OED says subalterns are below Captains, for example.

And, if you know, can you also solve the vexed question of Brigadier: is he the senior field officer, because he certainly is not a General officer? OED supports this theory.

Brigadier::>

& scroll down to United Kingdom

The Reverend A.Dyche's Dictionary of 1764 suggests:"A General Officer in Command of a Brigade"

Guest Simon Bull

I don't know where I have got this from, but I thought that at the time of the Great War Brigadiers were General rank officers but ceased to be at some time thereafter (at least in the British army).

Certainly, as I understand it, a Brigadier no longer has the title Brigadier General.

Some expert will no doubt prove me wrong...

I always thought the Brigadier General rank existed until about 1920, at which point it was renamed (for a while) as 'Colonel Commandant', leter renamed Brigadier.

In British usage it is not a general officer post, but surely the NATO (American) usage of star gradings for generals makes our Brigadier a one star general?

It was also my understanding that Brigadier-Generals were of General rank, that was until the early 20's when the rank of Colonel commandant was adopted and then reverted to Brigadier.

Something to do I thought with too many Generals or tainted with a brush etc.

regards

Arm