Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Dragoon guards 1918

Chris Boonzaier

Towards the end of March 1918 the 3rd Dragoons took part in a cavalry charge at Villeselve near Ham. In this charge 100 Germans were killed and over 200 taken POW.

The german 130 I.R. was in this sector.

Is there anyone who could, by some miracle, tell me if the 130. I.R. was the regiment that faced the Charge?

Thanks

Chris

The attack took place on the 24th March, 1918. The British Official History records that the German 5th Guard Division and the 36th Infantry Division were converging on the area of Collézy, after which town the Germans named the action. Gustav Goes gave a brief description in 'Der Tag X: Die Große Schlacht in Frankreich (21. März - 5. April 1918). He mentions that the 3rd Garde-Regiment (5th Guard Division) was involved, led by Freiherr von Wangenheim. It was taken in the left flank.

The Marquis of Anglesey quotes some information from the 3rd Dragoons history. Some German prisoners were captured but there is no indication of the unit.

Jimmermann's book 'Die englische Kavallerie in Frankreich im März und April 1918' gives no information about the German units that were involved.

Robert

The attack took place on the 24th March, 1918. The British Official History records that the German 5th Guard Division and the 36th Infantry Division were converging on the area of Collézy, after which town the Germans named the action. Gustav Goes gave a brief description in 'Der Tag X: Die Große Schlacht in Frankreich (21. März - 5. April 1918). He mentions that the 3rd Garde-Regiment (5th Guard Division) was involved, led by Freiherr von Wangenheim. It was taken in the left flank.

The Marquis of Anglesey quotes some information from the 3rd Dragoons history. Some German prisoners were captured but there is no indication of the unit.

Jimmermann's book 'Die englische Kavallerie in Frankreich im März und April 1918' gives no information about the German units that were involved.

Robert

Thank you very, very much indeed!!! I have been searchin off and on for a number of years and not found that much info. I will check out the Goes book first

best

Chris

You may alleady know but here is a book written by Captain H. P. Holt called the History of the 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards 1914-1918. may have some info in about the charge.

Fred