Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New to this online research

Guest JoeCornish

Guest JoeCornish

My wife is trying to find out about her great uncle's life in the first world war.

The information she knows is:

Name Francis A Maycock

Born 1879 in Byfield, Northamptonshire

Married 1908 in Croydon, Surrey

Wife's Name Madeline

Died 1961 in Langport, Somerset

Rank Private

Army No 67656

Regiment The Queen's Regiment

She understands that he was wounded, but not killed during his war service, but knows nothing else.

We are both retired and new to the world wide web. This is our first attempt at going on-line at our local library, so apologies if we have got anything wrong.

How can she go about tracing any records that may exist for him - where did he serve, when was he wounded, where did he live during the war, ... Any help, information or pointers would be really appreciated.

Hi,

You can download (for the princeley sum of £3.50) his Medal Index card from the following address:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

This will confirm his regiment details. It will also give details of his entitlement to the main medal awards.

It may also give the date that he went into service overseas and the theatre he entered (however this is not always the case)

If you are lucky his service record may still exist and will be held at The National Archives at Kew. It is likely to be in what is known as the "Burnt documents". Remember that most records were destropyed by bombing in WWII and only about 40% still survive.

Some of the PALS on here may be able to give you specific information on his regiment (especially if you have some idea of dates).

Hope this helps as a starter and welcome to the forum

Best Wishes

James

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly use this link - http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

it will take you to the RESEARCH A SOLDIER section on this site, and will explain everything you need to know about starting your research far better than i could, then if you have any questions come back - and KEEP coming back as you find information, if you are able to find your wifes Gt. uncles records, there are litterally hundreds of members that will help you understand them, and help you with further research.

Good Luck.

Ian.

Hi did you retreive the Francis Maycock data = Queens G 67656 from the national archives online or from other sources? If it was soley from the NA be aware there is another man with the same initials F A Maycock Essex reg. 29158. Gareth

Guest JoeCornish

Thank you so much for the responses I have received. I had no idea that so much information was available on the world wide web.

The information we have was obtained when we cleared out my wifes brothers effects, but we have no idea where he obtained the information. I know he did have access to the world wide web, but we had assumed that the information was 'family knowledge'.

Obviously we have a lot more research to do. Living a long way from London I think it will be quite slow, but will try and get our son to visit the National Archives for us when he is next in the UK - detailed information does not seem to be available on line.

Thank you all once again, I am sure we will be back asking more questions at some time in the future.