Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Andrew Yates

James Brown

Hi folks

This is a shot in the dark. I hope you bear with me for 2 minutes.

I am researching the Crosshouse War memorial in Ayrshire.

I am at a blank with the name of Lt Andrew Yates.

Apologies, thats all I have. I have gone through the CDGW, CWGC, SNWM and there are no Lt Andrew Yates.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

James

I checked www.military-genealogy.com and found only 1 Andrew Yates there, from Alva, Clackmannanshire, but he was a Private. Will keep looking.

Tom

I am searching through the list now. Anything I find, I will put on this post.

Ryukyu

It's an unuasual name I would say, and being a Lieutenant, this was an officer who could be traced, I would have said. Having no date or Regiment makes it harder. The newspapers from the Kilmarnock area will be next step, and that's a time consuming process. After that as you say it's the census, another time consumer.

I shall keep searching.

Thanks Tom and Ryukyu

James

There are only 2 A Yates on the Scottish National War Memorial - both are privates - so that rules them out.

On the National Archives there is one -

Yates, A J, West Yorkshire Regiment, Lieutenant /Acting Captain

This would explain why he's not on the SNWM, if he is not Scottish.

The hard bit now, if this is the right man, is to try and connect this A J Yates to the Crosshouse Memorial. :(

In my experience the newspapers on microfiche at my Reference Library is the only way.

Thanks

James

It is a bit of a puzzle isnt it?

I think that it must be Yates, A J, West Yorkshire Regiment, Lieutenant /Acting Captain, and that maybe his family moved from England to Scotland just before the war and thats why they had the name put on the monument there or vice versa, but either way, that seems to be the only one, unless the memorial is incorrect??

Either way, its the hardest ones to sort out that will mean the most in the long run. Good luck!