Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meaning of A. S. O. M. T.

Guest djsides

Can anyone help me understand this statement in my Grandmother's diary -

"Cyril is greatly excited, for he has been fortunate enough to get into the A. S.O. M.T."

If it helps, it was dated 20 May 1915.

Thanks

Dave

Could it actually be ASC MT ?

Army Service Corps, Motor Transport?

Steve

That sound more like it! :D

Steve.

Yes, I cannot imagine great excitement at joining the ASC, but the chance of some education would I believe have been noteworthy.

Roop

Joining the MT branch of the ASC could have generated excitement. Unlike today, few could drive in the early 20th centrury and there were few ways to learn. Furthemore, leaning to drive could have lead to a chaffeur's job (after the war was over) which was certainly an improvement for many unskilled labourers.

Thanks for all the replies. I am inclined to think the same way now.

We initially thought that MT stood for Military Training but Motor Transport does seem more logical in the context written.

Incidently the "O" could be interpreted as a "C".

On the paper it looks like the greek letter theta i.e. an "O" smoothly crossed at about 1/3down from the top. (Difficult to describe how a hand-written theta looks) - so it could be a "curly" C where the bottom stroke has reached the first part.

Regards, DAve

Ok Dave - now that you have us hooked, can you tell us more about your Grandfather?

Well most of its here:

but that was before this diary came to light.

The diary covers the weeks leading up to Grandma's wedding and has very little about the man himself.

He apparently was quite ill/sick for longish periods (faked or not? I don't know)

Arround the 18th Feb 1915 he was stationed in Luton and was ordered to report to HQ (not stated where).

27 Feb "I heard from Cyril this morning. He tells me the 4th Lincolns left for France this morning. He has been left behind as unfit for foreign service at present, and I must say I feel very relieved to think he is still in England"

20 May has the entry regarding acceptance to the ASC MT.

They were married on the 14 June 1915, by licence, and afterwards left for Aldershot. (where it is clear they were living together - married quarters?)

On the marriage certificate it says profession: Artificer A.S.C.(M.T)

and he gives his residence as Aldershot. (He was aged 21)

The diary stops on the 27th June "Cyril took me up to the camp and shewed me round the yard and shop.

I have not yet been able to look at the War Badge Roll mentioned on the MIC.

Tthe ASC Artificer School was at Aldershot and, given the length of the neessary training, this would probably account for the family being allocated a married quarter

Stephen