Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pioneer

Bruce Dennis

Pioneer of the 12th Regiment 1915.

Equipment is kar98, M1899 ammunition pouches, standard field pack.

Constructive criticism, please?

Regards,

Bruce

post-7619-1137955465.jpg

Have you worked much with Photoshop? That`s one thing I`m not too good at. As for criticism, I`m not quite sure when Pioniers received the black shoulder straps. I have seen plenty of early war photos of pioneers having them in infantry color. As for helmet... I think it should be a spiked pickelhaube instead of the "ball" you have illustrated.

I`d also change the color... it`s now more closer to green which was the color of Jäger`s uniform. I think the feldgraud would be closer. Here`s a link to Kaiser's Bunker-shop containing nice photos of uniforms...

I`ll take my words back concerning the black shoulder straps... after some studying, I noticed that black shoulder straps were worn in Bluse M1915... your`s is correct.

Collar "piping" should be black. LIKE HERE:

post-1862-1138571422.jpg

I`ll take my words back concerning the black shoulder straps... after some studying, I noticed that black shoulder straps were worn in Bluse M1915... your`s is correct.

Collar "piping" should be black. LIKE HERE:

Good! This is what I was hoping for, some informed comments on the figure and it's details. I worked from a photo of a 12th regiment Pioneer for the basics such as helmet (ball type) and equipment (M1899 pouches, buckle etc). The caption described his weapon as 98a, which I did not think could be accurate. Since posting the image, I have realised that the buckles on the leather straps are too high, and have corrected it. Thanks for the comment about the collar piping, it will be added. That was a good link you gave, it will be put to use.

To answer your question, this was the first thing I have done with Photoshop, and I am now working on a more ambitious painting of a French Moroccan soldier from 1915.

Concerning the colour, the image was reduced greatly for posting on the forum and it was a surprise to see what effect that had on the colour of the uniform: the full size original has more subtle blues, but that is something you will have to take my word for! I know this is a subject that is difficult to do in text without some example to refer to, but I am happy with the colour compared to the example I used as a model.

I am very happy with Photoshop, although it is going to be a long job to get to know it's tricks. It is probably impossible to ever use all of it's features, but I have discovered a good book: Teach Yourself Adobe Photostop 7 in 24 Hours. From the sound of your comment, you have tried and not been happy with the results.

Thank you for answering my post, I was beginning to wonder if it was something I said...

Regards,

Bruce

Thank you for answering my post, I was beginning to wonder if it was something I said...

Great piece of work with colourising the picture Bruce, I don't think may people who read the post (like myself) knew enough about the colours of German Pioneer uniforms to feel able to comment. Unfortunately those that may have the knowledge, other than Landsturm, have not seen the post, I suspect. Keep posting, you'll get there.....

Great piece of work with colourising the picture Bruce, I don't think may people who read the post (like myself) knew enough about the colours of German Pioneer uniforms to feel able to comment. Unfortunately those that may have the knowledge, other than Landsturm, have not seen the post, I suspect. Keep posting, you'll get there.....

Thank you, Spike, all words of encouragement are gratefully received. When I first looked at some of the illustrations by Malcolm Macgregor and Pierre Turner of military subjects based on photographs, I wondered how it was done. Later, it seemed that modern software would allow me to achieve something similar by “colourising” photos. Well, if it is possible I haven’t yet found the trick. The pioneer is a painting, using a photo for reference of dimensions etc., but not a colourised copy: there is no part of the original photo incorporated in the image I posted.

It can be done, and maybe someone reading this will howl with laughter at my laborious process when there is a Photoshop tool that would do the job properly, but so far I haven’t found a way of adding colour to b/w photos that looks good enough.

Thanks again, I may post the Moroccan if he is good enough.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

Have you tried the 'Black Magic' software for colourizing black and white images. There have been a few threads on the forum about it.

Try the link to this thread: Black Magic

Some of the photos are now missing after the Forum reshuffle but there are still enough left in the thread to give you an idea on what can be done in a very short time. It's also noteworthy that most of the photos on that thread were 'firsts' done by beginners.

Trial Black Magic software can be downloaded from their website http://www.blackmagic-color.com/. If you like it (and the general consensus here was that it was great) you can purchase one of two full versions for a fairly reasonable price.

Hope this info is useful.

Tim L.

Bruce,

Have you tried the 'Black Magic' software for colourizing black and white images. There have been a few threads on the forum about it.

Try the link to this thread: Black Magic

Some of the photos are now missing after the Forum reshuffle but there are still enough left in the thread to give you an idea on what can be done in a very short time. It's also noteworthy that most of the photos on that thread were 'firsts' done by beginners.

Trial Black Magic software can be downloaded from their website http://www.blackmagic-color.com/. If you like it (and the general consensus here was that it was great) you can purchase one of two full versions for a fairly reasonable price.

Hope this info is useful.

Tim L.

Tim, that was interesting. I must say the results that I could see were good, but I have learned from my recent experience with Photoshop that I actually enjoy the process of digital painting. It seems that with any photoediting tools to produce a detailed image you would need a detailed photo, or you may as well start from scratch. Having said that, Black Magic is obviously a useful tool and I will mull it over. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...
I`d also change the color... it`s now more closer to green which was the color of Jäger`s uniform. I think the feldgraud would be closer. ...

Landsturm, I have now got some doubts about the colour too. The original I was using as a colour guide has different (earlier) cuffs and the more I look at it the more I think it is wrong. I will be changing the colour, so thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

Bruce