Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th international Verdun weekend

Christina Holstein

On 31 October – 2nd November Marcus Massing is organizing the 4th international Verdun meeting. This is a weekend of walk and visits which this year includes, on 31st October, Vauquois Hill, the Kaiser Tunnel, on 1st Nov. Fort Vaux and Fumin Wood including DV3, DV4 and a French battery and, on 2nd November, Forts Dugny, Landrecourt and (perhaps) Fort Regret. Marcus gathers each year an impressive number of international experts on Verdun and his weekends are not to be missed.

If anyone is interested – and Hedley can confirm that these weekends are well worth the journey – I have the complete programme in English. If you want the German version of the programme, or any other information about the weekend, you can contact Marcus in English or German on:MMSting@aol.com

Christina Holstein

Christina is right: it is an excellent weekend with a great international (German, French, Belgian and UK) group of people. Marcus and his team are very knowledgeable and keen to share what they know. A good mix of visits to the well-known and less well-known places on the Verdun battlefield. Marcus supplies a full information pack of maps, diagrams and guides. His field presentations are made in German, but Christina provides a brilliant, on-line, instantaneous, translation service.

Hedley - you're too kind. Will you be there this year? I can let you have the programme if Marcus hasn't sent it to you.

Even if this is an area that Pals aren't normally interested in, there's no better way of getting to know Verdun than with this group. It's a walking tour, so you get the feel of the ground, Marcus gathers a lot of the new, younger, Verdun experts, they're keen to share information and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. I can't recommend it too highly.

Christina

I plan to go this year and Marcus has sent me a programme. I agree with you; for many Front buffs the Front is Ypres, Flanders, the Somme and the Aisne. Verdun (and Alsace-Lorraine) will never have the same emotional pull for people from the UK and far fewer of them seem to make the journey down. Which is a pity because they are missing out in a big way. There is much more to see and it is so very different to what is found further north. To experience the Front in its totality it is necessary to go there.

And it does have an emotional pull of its own. Richard Holmes once described Verdun as 'the saddest place on Earth' - and he was right.

See you there!