Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Darlington, Holbeach, Skegness 1916

nilis11

I have several photos, taken in 1916, of men in training. On the back are written Darlington, Skegness and Holbeach. I can't figure which unit was in training there? Some officers are mentioned; Captain White,

Reah?, Moyes, Lt.Davsion, Lt. Joyce and 2/Lt Elliott.

Which unit are they from? (maybe Army Cycle Corps because one is taken during Cycle drill at Darlington?)

thanks

Nilis

Nilis,

Is it possible to include the photo's in the post? The camp in Darlington was actually at Hummersknot, just down the road from here and there's houses there now. When we first moved here we used to take our dog around the fields in that area and one of the stone gate posts still had the War Department Arrow or "Crows Foot" chiselled into it. As far as I'm aware up until the Great War it was never used by infantry units until the arrival of the 15th(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers. Prior to that I believe it had been the site for Yeomanry Cavalry and Corps annual camps.

Graham.

Nilis,

Is it possible to include the photo's in the post? The camp in Darlington was actually at Hummersknot, just down the road from here and there's houses there now. When we first moved here we used to take our dog around the fields in that area and one of the stone gate posts still had the War Department Arrow or "Crows Foot" chiselled into it. As far as I'm aware up until the Great War it was never used by infantry units until the arrival of the 15th(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers. Prior to that I believe it had been the site for Yeomanry Cavalry and Corps annual camps.

Graham.

Graham,

I'll see what I can do to scan the photographs. I will have to do this at the office (in a sneaky way) because I haven't got this at home.

Nilis

Nilis,

It could be that the Unit is the Huntingonshire Cyclists (territorials)? their 2/1st Bn. was stationed in Skegness around that time. Their badge looks like a rising stag.

If so I'd be VERY interested in seeing the pictures as well. There's a very thorough website devoted to them. If the men in the pictures are Huntingonshire Cyclists, please do e-mail the webmaster (He'll be intersted to no end) and tell him Gloria sent you ;)

Gloria

Nilis,

Sorry, I have to correct myself: the Huntingdonshire Cyclists were not stationed at Skegness until May 1918. I probably got confused as they were in Lincolnshire from 1916 onwards (in 1916 they were at Sutton-Le Marsh, near Mablethorpe, later would move to Alford, Chapel St Leonards and then Skegness)

Gloria (who's knocking her head against the wall in utter shame)

I have several photos, taken in 1916, of men in training. On the back are written Darlington, Skegness and Holbeach. I can't figure which unit was in training there?

Here are the photgraphs

Cycle drill detached arms taken at Darlington 1916

I still would like to hear which unit this is?

post-6445-1139232362.jpg

Nilis,

I'd say that Edward Lawson's cap Badge in the other thread is that of the Army Ciclist Corps. and 2/lt Davison's looks also similar.

I have a ACC badge back at home so I'll see if I can scan it and post the image so you can compare.

However, if you could make a detailed scan of the cap badges in the image (as far as the image could get better) it would be good.

Gloria

Gloria & Nilis,

You're looking at an officer of the Northern Cyclist Battalion, so I would presume the others are Northern Cyclists although there's no record of them being in Darlington according to James's book.

Graham.

Graham is right!

I'm posting the Army Ciclist Corps badge scan (in colour), but looking again, I was utterly wrong: both Edward Lawsonn VC and 2nd Lieutenant Davisson's badges looks like that of the Northern Cyclist Battalion (scan in B/W)... As Graham says, "British Regiments" doesn't mention the Northern Cyclists being at Darlington, though the 2/1st Bn., Northern Cyclists was at Skegness in 1916. Well, at that stage the 2/1st were actually the 10th Provisional Cyclist Coy (formed July 1915).

Gloria

post-6853-1139257431.jpg

post-6853-1139257518.jpg

Gloria,

Just seen the Edward Lawson VC photo on the other post and it without a doubt an NCB capbadge. I haven't got a relevant Army List which would confirm whether it was the 1/1st or 2/1st Battalions that were in Darlington. Not really sure where it was taken in Darlington, but it may have been a Drill Hall belonging to either the R.A.M.C. or 5th D.L.I.

Graham.