Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TFNS Death

Guest johndick

I think this must be a different person on the York Minster panels.

Possibly, but I don't think so. The reason that I say this is that if there were two WW1 casualties with the same name there would be two entries on the York Minster panels - one under QAIMNS and the other under TFNS.

I have her as serving with the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service this taken from the York Minster panels where casualty females are commemorated. This is different to the Territorial Force Nursing Service. Yet on the St. Giles High Kirk memorial to Scottish nurses she is shown as TFNS. Some confusion somewhere.

If the consensus is that there is only one casualty, the York Minster panel must be wrong.

Sue

If the consensus is that there is only one casualty, the York Minster panel must be wrong.

Sue

Surely both the names on the York Minster panels and the names on the memorial in St. Giles Kirk were gathered from official sources. I know of quite a few errors on the York Minster panels but not had cause to research the St. Giles Kirk memorial but the point that I am making is to ask why it must be the York Minster panels that is wrong? Either could be wrong. Pete Starling's post of 27th June 2011 states that her name is not recorded in the TFNS section of the military nurses book of remembrance.

why it must be the York Minster panels that is wrong? Either could be wrong. Pete Starling's post of 27th June 2011 states that her name is not recorded in the TFNS section of the military nurses book of remembrance.

Everything that has been mentioned on this thread so far associates Elizabeth Macdonald with the Territorial Force Nursing Service:

She was working at, and died at No.3 Scottish General Hospital - a Territorial Force hospital.

The newspaper piece quoted in post 25

St. Giles Kirk memorial

The photograph at the IWM of which you have a copy

The Kingussie war memorial which started this whole thread

She would not appear in the military nurses book of remembrance as she was an Assistant Nurse, and therefore not a full member of the service on account of her reduced nurse training. She would have had a War Office contract as an Assistant Nurse 'attached' to the TFNS. You mentioned that if there had been two women of the same name there would be two entries on the York Minster panels which there aren't, and I can see nothing to associate her with QAIMNS other than the York Minster entry, so my conclusion is that the entry is incorrect. If there's anything to connect her with QAIMNS I'd be interested, but at present can't see her as anything else than attached to the TFNS.

Sue

I accept the argument but the view is still open in my mind. In the MICs there is an Elizabeth MacDonald, QAIMNS Reserve. No other possible MacDonalds or McDonalds as QAIMNS or TFNS are revealed. I know that proves nothing save that an Elizabeth MacDonald did serve in the QAIMNS. Perhaps a search of the NA files is now called for.