Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find information on Harold Roberts

Guest sallyR

Hi

Can anyone help find information on Harold Roberts born 1889 in Sheffield. My grandfather told me that Harold served as an army officer in the first world war and that he came back to London after the war and met my great grandfather and said he was going away. He then never got in contact with the family again. Rumour passed down through the generations has it that he went to America on some kind of secret service work but I dont know if this is true. He did leave behind a wife and two daughters who also never heard from him again.

The attached photo was sent to me from a relative and we believe Harold is on the photo as the writing that was on the back addressed the card to Dear father and the address was that of Harolds father. Any help in identifying the regiment or any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

SallyR

The photo wont upload but if anyone can help I will gladly email the picture. Some of the men in the photo have wings on their jackets and some dont.

Thanks

SallyR

Welcome to the forum Sally.

Harold Roberts is not the rarest of names. A quick glance at the Medal Index Cards produces 171 hits (and this does not cover the Navy). Not all are officers of course so this could be narrowed down a little, but do you have anything else that may help? For example, when you say Officer do you have any idea of what rank of Officer? Do you have any idea of which regiment he may have served in?

The picture may help when you've figured out how to upload it! You mention wings, which suggests an air force connection - would you say he looks air force?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. I believe that the full photo is too large a file to upload so Ive cut part out of it and uploaded that. We think Harold is the man without the hat on or a man with the hat on thats on the other half of the picture that I will upload in a moment. I do think that there is some air force connection from looking at the mens uniforms.

Ive asked my great aunt about Harold (she is 90 so not sure of the accuracy of her info) she says he was definately army and believes he was a captain??

Is there a air section of the army?

This man is a real mystery and it would be great to find out more. He was born on the 11/06/1889 in Sheffield, He has no middle name listed on his birth certificate, his parents were William Alfred Oddy Roberts and Ann Elizabeth Roberts.

Thanks SallyR

post-10398-1137923231.jpg

Heres the other part of the photo, Harold may be the man standing next to the man with no hat on. The reason we think is one of the two men I suggested is that my great aunt thought they both looked familiar.

The card was sent to 33 Rydal Road Millhouses Sheffield and the post mark on the back is 28th April and may be either 1918 or 1919. And looks as if it says Brech.

Any ideas anyone?

post-10398-1137924020.jpg

Would love to see the full photo Sally. Can you save it in a different format and try again? It would be interesting to get a better look at the whole group. There seems to be a conglomeration of RAF, Navy and Army officers. The first man (without hat) appears to be an Army Major (regiment unknown). The second man appears to have an RAF uniform and possibly an Observers wing. I don't know when the observers wing was introduced...but I am sure someone else can fill us in. In the second part of the photo there is also a Royal Artillery Officer with Pilots wings. I would guess the photograph is post April 1918 as the RAF was formed at this time. There does not appear to be WW1 campaign medals, which may mean the photo was taken before the end of the war or shortly thereafter.

Rgds

Tim

I don't know when the observers wing was introduced

Tim

The RFC's winged 'O' badge for observers was introduced in September 1915, and at first it was restricted to officers. In November 1915 use was extended to Warrant Officers, NCOs and men.

The men in Sally's photographs could be a group of early RAF officers. Some are wearing RAF uniforms, but others appear to be in Army tunics. It was a common practice in the RFC to wear the uniform of the regiment in which the wearer was commissioned, but with RFC wings (in the case of aircrew). Many former RFC and RNAS men continued to wear their old uniform after the establishment of the RAF.

Regards

Gareth