Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Masonic Interest

Terry Carter

Hi folks

A friend of mine is sure that his grandfather served in the Great War. However he has info, no medals or photos.

The only scrap of information he has is a letter confirming his grandfather had been initiated into the "First Degree" of Freemasonry.

The letter was supplied by the 'GRANDE LOGE NATIONALE INDEPENDANTE ET REGULIERE' in 1921.

It states that :-

" We certify that Brother H H Harris of 4/147 Devon Street, Saltley, Birmingham has been initiated in the First Degree of Freemasonry on the 7th January 1919 in the Lodge Havre de Grace No. 1 , and that his fees have been duly settled"

I have checked the address in the 1918 Absent Voters with no luck. There are very many H H Harris's in the medal card index. Or Perhaps he was a young soldier that served in the Army of Occupation after the war or perhaps a worker on building cemeteries.

The family tale is that he was granted permission to join the masons as a thankyou for some type of deed he undertook during Army service. With the letter is a small book (small pocket diary size) entitled 'The Scottish Ritual of craft Freemasonry

Can anyone help to find out if he served during WW1

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

Sorry I can't add much about his war record but I might be able to add a bit about his Masonic intrests.

Now this is as I understand it !

The letter that he has been given is basically a clearance from the GRANDE LOGE NATIONALE INDEPENDANTE ET REGULIERE that states that he is good character and a paid up member of the lodge. It would of gone to the secretary of the lodge he was wishing to join.

The GRANDE LOGE NATIONALE INDEPENDANTE ET REGULIERE became the Grande Loge Nationale Française in 1948. Basically the Grand Lodge of France (there are 2 the other being the Orient). If you write to the French Grand Lodge you should be able to get details of his occupation, proposer and seconder etc.

The small book entitled 'The Scottish Ritual of craft Freemasonry suggests that when he came back he joined a lodge that used the Scottish Ritual ( it is different to the ritual used by United Grand Lodge) and would therefore have been associated with the Scottish Grand Lodge rather than the United Grand Lodge of England. Once again the Scottish Grand Lodge may hold further details on him.

I hope this is correct but remember I am not a Mason so only a member of the craft would be able to confirm it.

Hope this helps

James

The small book entitled 'The Scottish Ritual of craft Freemasonry suggests that when he came back he joined a lodge that used the Scottish Ritual ( it is different to the ritual used by United Grand Lodge) and would therefore have been associated with the Scottish Grand Lodge rather than the United Grand Lodge of England. Once again the Scottish Grand Lodge may hold further details on him.

Just one point of amendment to my previous post. It now appears that the French lodge did actually use the Scottish Rite as their main ritual. Apparently a throwback to when Scottish freemasonry came with King James II of Scotlands exile.

As the French Lodge would have been classed as regular it would have been recognised by the English United Grand Lodge. As that was the case it is possible that he transfered membership on his return to a local lodge in Birmingham. Thsi would have come under the auspices of United Grand Lodge. Therefore you should be able to obtain further information on the mans Masonic Career from The United Grand Lodge in London.

Sorry for the need to clarify.

Cheers

James