Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC help please

Jim Maclean

Attached is a scan of my great uncle's MIC, it is one of three.

I would like to know if anyone could tell me what was 'Not approved'?

His other two MICs are one that is like this but has the Army Veterinary Corps and Bechuanaland police transposed, the other is AVC and is for his 1914 star.

I have his 5 bar QSA, WW1 trio and Bechuanaland Police LS medal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

post-4275-1137861578.jpg

It looks like he possibly attempted to make a further claim for a War Service Badge for service with the Bechuanaland Police & it was not granted,but was referred to AVC List 61.I would recommend obtaining that Roll Page to see if it gives further insight.

Thanks for that, my first thought was that he'd applied for the bar to the '14 star as when I got his medals many years ago there were a couple of rosettes with them, self awarded maybe, though his ribbon bar has no rosette so maybe not.

I don't know much about his service, as all that knew him are long gone. I don't remember my grandfather(his brother) ever mentioning him being wounded. I find his discharge in '15 strange as I do know that he returned to the Bechuanaland Police and got his LS.

Seems he fell in love with Africa and all things African during the Boer war and became something of a 'black sheep'.

Here he is:

post-4275-1137870819.jpg

Paragraph 392 XXI is for Termination of his period of engagement, not for wounds etc. TE = Time Expired.

As I think Harry is saying, he applied for an SWB on completion of service and was "Not Approved".

The question is did he re-enlist, or was he conscripted, or neither?

Steve.

A bit of guesswork here. I think he served out his original engagement with the the Royal Sussex Regt. then joined the Bechuanaland Police around 1910. Joined the AVC for WW1 but was discharged in 1915 to carry on and gain a Bechuanaland LS.. Strange really. Tomorrow I'll get out the other MICs.