Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

High Wood

Guest simmer

New to this great forum and looking for a little help, I've posted elsewhere but was directed here as it is very active!

I am researching my Great Uncle Tommy, this is the information on the CWGC site:

In Memory of

Private THOMAS FORBES SIM

331434, 9th (Glasgow Hdrs.) Bn., Highland Light Infantry

who died age 20

on 15 July 1916

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Sim, of 27, Laverockhall St., Springburn, Glasgow.

Remembered with honour

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

I have read Shoulder to Shoulder and the War Diary transcribed and available on the RHF website and it is probable that he died at High Wood, I have also ordered Terry Normans "The Hell That Was High Wood" and "Courage Past" by Alex Aiken and am planning a trip to Glasgow to the RHF museum. I have to say that all the above was the result of a Google search that directed me to this site, it is a brilliant resource.

Are there any other suggestions where I may look to find out more about his service, eg when he enlisted, is he listed as dying at High Wood. I am planning a trip to High Wood on July 15th along with some of my family to pay our respects and remember all those who fought for our benefit.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Hello

if it helps, soldiers died lists him as born, lived and enlisted in Glasgow - being killed in action. And that the 9th was a territorial btn

Ian

Surname SIM

Firstname Thomas

Service Number 331434

Date Death 15/07/1916

Decoration

Place of birth Glasgow

Other 9th Bn. (T).

SNWM roll THE HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Scottish National War Memorial entry.

McCarthy Somme day-by-day gives

33rd Division

On the evening of the 14th, 1/9th HLI and 1st Queens (100 Brigade) had taken up position between High Wood and Bazentin-le0Petit.

After a thirty minute bombardment they attacked the switch line at 9am on the 15th July. Similtaneously a further effort was made to clear the western side of the Wood with three platoons of 1/9th HLI but this was unsuccessful, a machine gun in the Wood taking the entire assault in enfilade........................................

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Ian and Malcolm.

The extract from McCarthy is rather chilling and ties in with the War Diary (extract below) and I believe he was one of the 99 missing. Brings a lump to my throat for sure.

[15 July 1916: attack at High Wood]

At 5.30am orders were received that the Bde was to attack the switch trench in front of Martinpuich. The Queens and Glasgow Highlanders were to carry out the attack, the Worcesters and 16/KRR to be in support.

Our right was to start from the northwest corner of HIGH WOOD (which we did not hold). The preliminary bombardment was to begin at 8.30am and the attack at 9am.

A message was sent to the Bde reporting that it was impossible to attack unless HIGH WOOD was first cleared; about 7.30am a message came from Bde Hd Qrs that it had been represented that 7th Div should be asked to clear wood and asking if we had heard if any 7th Div Batts were to do this. One of the COs of a 7th Div Battn said it had been suggested he should attack HIGH WOOD but it was too big a job for him.

About 7.30am a Company of 16/KRRs was sent up to be a support to the Battn. This Company and 3 platoons of No.3 Coy were put into Wood to try and clear the Right Flank of the Battn when the attack began.

At 9am the Battn attacked and only got about 150 yds taking a very heavy fire from Wood and from SWITCH Trench N of Wood and from Sunken road in front of SWITCH TRENCH. The 2nd Worcesters were sent up in Support but were also stopped.

The Battn suffered the following casualties: 5 officers killed, 15 wounded and 1 missing. OR 87 killed, 214 wounded, 99 missing (believed killed).

Hello Simmer

Most Archives like you to phone ahead and make an appointment (certainly true of the IWM in London) this has the great advantage for you of a reserved desk and all of the requested documents prepared for you.

Glad to see the re-post working well.

Annie

Page 113 in Couraage Past lists Sim as having died at High Wood. The book is all about the HLI at High Wood and should fill out many details for you the research having already been done by Aiken.

Brian

Cheers Brian, that seems pretty definitive then. there were other Sims in the Glasgow Highlanders but none listed on the CWCG site as KIA. Hopefully the library will get Courage Past pretty soon but I think I shall look out for a copy for myself.

Rob

Private Thomas Forbes Sim is listed (along with about 4,500 who served in the 9th HLI, the Glasgow Highlanders, in the 1914-18 war, three in total having the surname Sim) in the appendix to the newly published "Come On Highlanders!" by Alec Weir, Sutton Publishing.

Prior to being renumbered as 331434 (early 1916) he was originally 4173 which (see page 137 of "Come On Highlanders!") meant that he probably enrolled between March and June 1915.

Thank you Dolus, I shall look out that Alec Weir book straight away, the appendix sounds like the document available on the RHF website as an excel spreadsheet that I have down loaded.

Terry Normans book has arrived today so I'm off to start that now.

Thanks again to you all for helping.

Rob