Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le boeufs cemetary

BIFFO

we are going to visit a grave at le boeufs to pay our respects to a family member,I also want to visit the sunken lane,we are then going to drive up to ypres which we did last year,what I want to know is, we want to stay "near by"get a meal have a drink for one poss two nights,as I understand to stay in albert on gwf hasnt been recommended,has any one any ideas,last year while in ypres we could not find "the shell hole"where is it ,I will of course gladly take any photos any one wants while we are in the area

there is a british run bed and breakfast at Flers, very friendly and close to where you you want to visit. For eating I can only suggest Bapaume which isn't too far or a meal at the Calypso at Longueval, a cup of Janet's tea at Delville Wood makes a nice break too. phone number is 0033322854723 or email hilary.smith@wanadoo.fr

Hello

could I have a picture graves of these please if this is where you are going

Geen TA Guards' Lesboeufs VIII.F.2 Private 6571 26/09/16

Rushby, W Guards' Lesboeufs X.R.6 L/Corporal 13487 15/09/16

Thanks Ian

Biffo

Here is the number for the Shell Hole (with code from England) 003257208758, ask for John.

While at Le boeufs could you possibly photograph the grave of Dominic Antinio Cassinelli, 20530 R.F.A.

died 10/10/16 its for a lady who has never seen her Great Uncles grave.

All the best,

Paul.

I trust that you are going to the Guards Cemetery at Les Boeufs. If so, say hi to a family cousin, Captain (Acting Major) Hugh McCarthy Ince, KIA 04/11/16. He was commanding the 53rd Battery, 2nd Brigade, RFA and was laying out lines of fire near their OP when he was killed by a shell. He resides in Plot X, Row Y, Grave 4. I have a recent picture of his grave. He is the son of my Grandfather's brother (Great Uncle). What does that make him to me?

Bill

We are going at the end of april,gentlemen you have my word if they are in the cemetary you will get photos,I would love to stay at avrils,but wife says it will be full of "old men talking war",

what gate is the shellhole near?.

having never been to bapaume whats it like,as we will probably stay there.

once again thanks gents

Hello

Look forward to hearing from you

Have a good trip - at least it should be warmer then!

Ian

Biffo

The Shell Hole is on d'Hondtstraat, if you stand in the town square with the Cloth Hall behind you looking at the Fountain then d'Hondtstraat is at 11 o'clock.

Thanks for the offer of a photo Cassinellis grave is VIII O 1.

All the best

Paul.

I would love to stay at avrils,but wife says it will be full of "old men talking war",

Staying at Avril's is as much or as little about the war as you want it to be. It's not like you're all couped up in one room all the time, and no escape. By the end of April, with a bit of good weather, people will be sat in the garden at one of the many tables for a beer. There's always something going on with the animals, cats prowling and basking in the warmth, chickens (with their chicks at the right time of the year), sheep and lambs out the back. Admittedly, everyone comes together at the meal in the evening, but there are usually three conversations at least going on at one time. There are always couples staying at Avril's, and the wives and girlfriends are not always war devotees, but I don't remember any feeling left out. Anyway, if the meal sounds like being too much of an ordeal (personally I think it's one of the highlights of the day) you can always take yourselves off to a restaurant elsewhere.

I am totally biased, but if Avril has room for you when you are over there, don't miss the chance!

When using the link that Burlington provides, make sure you then use the link for Ocean Villas Tea Rooms, as personally, I think that web-site will give you a very detailed, and engaging account as to what to expect at Avril's. If that doesn't give you the inspiration to be able to persuade the wife to go there, I don't know what will.

I agree with Jon

I took my wife there last year.

She is a young-ish, not interested in war full stop sort of person and even she found Avril's not only interesting but friendly and unlike any other B&B she has ever stayed in.

She now knows why I go back again and again and has even volunteered to come with me again sometime in the future!

I might even have a problem in keeping her away.

martin

Thank you all for trying to get me (us)to stay at avrils,as last year we will drive down from ypres have a look see,then drive back in time to be at the "gate"then mussells at de anchor then beer,this I have been told and as a good husband this I will do (but I still want to stay at f"****** avrils)he mumbles

• 2 weeks later...
We are going at the end of april,gentlemen you have my word if they are in the cemetary you will get photos,I would love to stay at avrils,but wife says it will be full of "old men talking war",

what gate is the shellhole near?.

having never been to bapaume whats it like,as we will probably stay there.

once again thanks gents

i live in achiet le grand 10 minutes from bapaume

the town of bapaume is a small one with i am afraid not much to do you will get more at peronne and albert

the place to stay at flers is owning by great people and it is very close to lesboeufs

the hotel de la paix in bapaume is on its way to close down...

the stromboli in bapaume is the best pizzeria in the area

if i can help let me know

philippe

Thank you for your help philippe,I have booked a hotel in ieper and the ferry so I am looking forward to another trip

biffo