Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEP

Camserbat

Anyone out there have an interest in the CEP and the action of 9th April 1918 near Richebourg, would particularly like to hear from any Portuguese Great War enthusiasts.

There is a big portugese cemetery at Neuve Chapelles, near the Indian Memorial.

Here lie 1831 casualties, coming from France, Belgium and Germany (POW)

You can see photos on the links

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/memoiresdepierre/a...richebourg.html

and

http://ecolerichebourg.free.fr/photos%20cimetiere.htm

Pierre

Yes, I have an interest, both in the Battle of the Lys and the CEP. How can I help?

Greenwoodman

Thanks for your reply, I have at home three books which I have acquired in Portugal on the Battle of the Lys and Portugal's part on the Western Front, the books are 'La Lys 1918 (Henriques e Leitao), Guerra e Nacionalidade and O Poder e a Guerra. True, they have increased an interest I have held for some years and I have visited the 'battlefield' on more than one occasion, the memorial at la Couture's is probably one of the most impressive memorials I have seen. What I would like to know is which British unit's were in the field with the Portuguese II Div. on the morning of 9th April 1918, I believe we are looking at the British 40 and 55 Divs? Exact battalions would be of a great help as I could get down to Kew and do some research.

Many Thanks in Advance

Camserbat

Appreciated Pierre & Laurent, many thanks!

Camserbat

The units were indeed the 40th and 55th Divisions.

The 40th was on the left of the 2nd Portuguese Division, 119th Brigade was holding the sector next to the Portuguese, with 18th Welch on the right and 13th East Surreys on the left. 21st Middlesex was in brigade reserve. 121st Brigade was holding the sector to the north of 119th, with 20th Middlesex on the right, 13th Yorkshire on the left and 12th Suffolks in brigade reserve.

The 55th Division was on the right of the Portuguese, with the 165th Brigade on the left and the 164th on the right. The battalions from left to right read:- 1/5th Liverpools (adjacent to the Portuguese), 1/7th Liverpools, 1/4th Loyal North Lancs and 1/4th Kings Own Royal Lancs. 1/6th Liverpools were in reserve to 1/5th Liverpools & 1/7th Liverpools, and 2/5th Lancs Fus were in support to the other two battalions.

166th Brigade had started moving up on the 9th to take over some of the Portuguese line the next day. 1/5th KORL was around Locon, 1/10th Liverpools around Mesplaux Farm and Le Hamel with 1/5th S Lancs behind them, all in the rear right area of the 2nd Portuguese Divisions. 1/4th S Lancs (Pioneers) were also near Locon.

Units of the 51st Div were brought in later in the day on the 9th, as were 11th Corps Cyclists and 1 KEH, both units fighting on with the remnants of Portuguese units.