Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Quirk 7th Battalion Leinster regiment

harpera

Hello I am a new member. First I would like to ask if anyone knows of the Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment.

My Great Uncle John served in this Battalion during WW1. 1914-1916 He died of his wounds at Woburn Abbey Hospital and is honoured there. He was given a full military funeral in Belfast. He was only 19 when he died. Although I have found a lot of information on him butI cannot find out why he was honoured (by that what did he do in the war to be honoured.) I would like to get his death/birth certificates. He doesn't seem to be listed in english BMD records and I haven't exact dates to apply to the Irish BMD. I have reseached lots of sites. Does anyone have advice for me.

many thanks

The 7th Leinsters were involved in the attack on Guillemont in the Battle of the Somme, Sunday 3rd September, 1916. Is this when your Great Uncle was killed?

Robert

The 7th Leinsters were involved in the attack on Guillemont in the Battle of the Somme, Sunday 3rd September, 1916. Is this when your Great Uncle was killed?

Robert

Hi Robert my uncle John died at Woburn but he may have been badly wounded in the battle you mention. I have no infomation of what battle he was wounded in and i thank you for replying. One thing i know is that he was a drummer although i am not absolutely sure what that meant other than 'drumming men into battle' at a guess. Is there anywhere I can get further information on this battle

thanks

again

akh

akh, your best bet is to get the Battleground Europe book on Guillemont (ISBN 0850525918). There are two pages of information about the 7th Leinsters, more particularly about their VC winner JV Holland. There is no mention of your Great Uncle. The book will give you a good impression of the lead-up to the attack. Guillemont was one of many villages that took an inordinate amount of time and blood to capture. Other members of the Forum are likely to have information for you. Good luck in your search.

Robert

akh, your best bet is to get the Battleground Europe book on Guillemont (ISBN 0850525918). There are two pages of information about the 7th Leinsters, more particularly about their VC winner JV Holland. There is no mention of your Great Uncle. The book will give you a good impression of the lead-up to the attack. Guillemont was one of many villages that took an inordinate amount of time and blood to capture. Other members of the Forum are likely to have information for you. Good luck in your search.

Robert

Many thanks for your help I appreciate it.

akh

akh

Don't know if you've seen this website, may be of interest.

Roll of Honour Website

Steve

Hi Steve

yes I have seen the site but thank you for pointing it out. My Gt Uncle is on that particular roll of honour.My research originally started from that point .

akh

Soldiers died in the Great War gives:

Quirk , John born Belfast, No. 2495, Private, died of wounds, France & Flanders 27/10/1916.

He is not listed in the bombers who took part in the action where JV Holland won his VC on 3rd Sept 1916.

Whitton's book on the Leinsters says that the 7th Batt relieved the 8th Royal Munster Fusiliers and part of the 6th Conn Rangers in the Vierstraat sector of the front line on 5th Oct 1916 and again from 21st to 25th Oct 1916. JV Holland's VC win was made known to the regiment the day your relative died - 27/10/1916. These were quite periods in this sector so can't say if he was mortally wounded at this stage. The last action they were involved in ended with their relief on 10 Sept 1916 with the casualties for Guillemont being one officer killed, 11 wounded and 219 other ranks casualties (killed and wounded) and at Ginchy 4 officers killed and anstated number of other ranks reducing the battalion to 15 officers and 289 men.

Hope this helps

Mark

Are you in a position to check the local newspapers for Belfast for reports of the funeral

(assuming you know the date it happened on)? I've seen quite a few local newspapers report the funerals of servicemen and sometimes they can provide quite a lot of information. Might be worth a try?

Swizz

Hello Akh and welcome to the Forum,

Your man is commemorated in Ireland's Memorial Records. If you would like a copy of his entry please send me a PM (Personal Message) with your email address and I will send it on. It does not have any more detail than you already have.

Regards,

liam.

Hi

To curranl I have replied by PM as requested. Many Thanks

To Swizz. Thank you for your suggestion. I went to Belfast a while ago and was lucky enought to find thenewspaper announcement of my Gt Uncle John's death and a report on his funeral but no mention of how he was injured . Thanks again for your reply

To Kildaremark Thank you for the information it is appreciated I am sure it will help further investigations.

akh