Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st British Ambulance Unit, Italy

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Does anyone have any idea where the 1st British Red Cross Ambulance Unit was based in Italy between Feb 1916 and June 1918 ? Also what was at Policlinico in Rome, was it a Hospital, or was it a training unit ? I am researching the service of a VAD and the above details appear on her service cards. She joined in 1913 and served with the Midlothian BRCS [No 8]. At the start of the war, she was at King'sknowe Auxilary War Hospital [Which I still have to locate, but must be south of Edinburgh] Then she went to Rome between 13-12-1915 to 2-2-1916 and then started with the 1st British Amb. Unit on the 3-2-1916.

Has anyone ever heard of British VAD being awarded the Medal Ribbon Bar of the Italian War Medal [Medaglia Dell Guerra} ? The Ribbon was awarded from May 1916, and a Silver Star was added for every additional year. The reason I ask is that the ribbon was found in the same box as the medals.

Thanks for looking :)

Regards,

Stewart

According to the Red Cross history, No. 1 Italian Unit left UK in August 1915 and set up at Villa Trento, about one mile from the Austrian frontier worked there during the fighting on the River Isonzo. In the Austrian gas attack of June 1916, No. 1 was sent to join No. 3 with the 11th Italian Army Corps in the Carso.

In the retreat of October 1917, Villa Trento was abandoned and the unit moved to Padua but, as equipment had been lost, it was disbanded. By December it was ready for service again and sent to the Lower Piave and the Asiago Plateau. It remained on the Piave until the armistice.

Those who could receive a foreign commemorative war medal had to opt for that or the British Pair. If they said they wanted the British War and Victory, they had to sign an agreement not to accept any foreign commemorative medal. So, she may have the ribbon, but she shouldn't have the medal.

Norman

:) Hello,

Thank you very much for all the informtion on the 1st Ambulance unit. I've been searching all over the net and in books to see if I could find any information about it. The information also regarding the medal ribbon has been a big help. I thought there was a good chance she had worn it, but then without the medal being there I also thought she may have been given it by a wounded soldier. But there are two silver stars on the ribbon which fits with her service, and it is the only non British Issue item with her collection.

What were the Red Stripe given for ? There were serveral with the collection, and I see there is a part on her service card relating to there issue, but no reason for them given and none actually listed as awarded.

Many thanks once again,

Stewart

What were the Red Stripe given for ? There were serveral with the collection, and I see there is a part on her service card relating to there issue, but no reason for them given and none actually listed as awarded.

Stewart

I'm no expert on VAD uniform, but I'm fairly sure that they were called 'efficiency stripes' and were worn on the sleeve. I think the first one was awarded after 13 month's satisfactory service, and then a second one at some point - not sure when. I've looked at records of women who served as VADs during the War, and then went on to train as nurses afterwards, and eventually joined the regular QAIMNS in the 1920s. There are often noted as having 'two efficiency stripes' as if it was the epitome of a VADs aspirations, but I've never seen more mentioned.

Sue

:) Hello Sue,

Thanks for the reply, it's very interesting. On the VAD service card it states that they were in Blue or Red, I wonder if one was for trained Nurses and the other for other VAD's ? Would you like me to post a scan of the Red Stripes ?

I've been looking through various web sites and books on information regarding VAD's. In the items I have there is a Blue nurses waist belt [There is no Buckle, just a couple of hooks and eyes on the back] I have not come across any photo's, so far, of VAD's wearing them. All the items I have relate to Miss Bonar being a VAD nurse, so does anyone have any ideas about this belt ?

Thanks once again for looking.

Stewart

Thanks for the reply, it's very interesting. On the VAD service card it states that they were in Blue or Red, I wonder if one was for trained Nurses and the other for other VAD's ? Would you like me to post a scan of the Red Stripes ?

Pernaps one colour was for home service, and one for overseas service, or maybe one for the first year's stripe, and the other for 2+ years service. A scan would be appreciated. I think the trained/untrained theory is unlikely. Before the war the women's detachments had one or two trained nurses, but during wartime the trained nurses were used by the Red Cross to staff their hospitals, and somehow lost any 'VAD' title, so in most cases 'VAD' used in wartime will signify 'untrained.'

As for the belt - I don't think that coloured belts were 'uniform' and all references I've seen for VADs working in military hospitals [control of War Office] stipulated a white belt. I suppose it's possible that some nurses in Red Cross units tried to introduce something rather more fashionable into their uniform, or maybe it relates to post-war service, either in hospital or private work. Black and white photos don't help much either :blink:

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

:) Hello,

Here is a scan of the Red Stripe and also of the medal ribbon of the Italian War Medal, which I believe she may have worn.

post-3488-1138700691.jpg