RINGDOVE??

VIVID 1

DILIGENCE(NOBLE)

THUNDERER

VIVID 1

TIGER

If anyone would like to examine the record i shall try and upload

alex

Others with more naval expertise will probably offer better guidance but I believe that Vivid was an RN shore establishment as opposed to a ship. It has been discussed before so it might be worth popping 'Vivid' into the forum's search engine.

It would appear that gggrandfather may have been a naughty boy.

The entry 'run' indicates that he was an absentee.

He was discharged SNLR on expiration of punishment. SNLR is the abreviation for Services No Longer Required. (Similar to a dishonourable discharge). I cannot read the Service Certificate clearly but would suggest that he was discharged after undergoing some form of detention (prison).

Is their a corner cut from the front of the Service Certificate? This was, (and is still) done of the person has been discharged with poor conduct.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Allan

(Former Master at Arms, RN).

Your man was discharged SNLR 28/2/19, SNLR = Services No Longer Required, which during my 24 years RN service was not the best form of discharge. It could mean any number of things, the last time I recall SNLR used was for a young man who really wasn't interested, didn't do his job effectively and was a liability at sea.

There is an entry for 90 days HL and another for 42 days IHL, I would suggest that the IHL = Imprisonment Hard Labour. The 42 and 90 days suggest terms of imprisonment in the RN Detention Quarters or Military Prison, hence SNLR.

The rest is difficult to read, but it would appear your man wasn't RN minded.

Regards

John Milner

Guest kenneth mcarthur

many thanks to all who helped ......just confirms what our family new about our grandfather( a little trouble making *******)!!lol

WOW!!!

I've read hundreds of RN SR's - but this one takes the cake!!

Not surprised he was Discharged SNLR!

Bryan

10 years in the Royal Navy and i have never known a service record like it, but funny how, most of the way through his time in the mob, his Character & Ability was VG - sat. In the mob, VG is as good as it gets.

Is their a corner cut from the front of the Service Certificate? This was, (and is still) done of the person has been discharged with poor conduct.

Still is? While my father's service cert (discharged late 1980s) has the corner marked and an explanatory note below the marking letting people know the reason should it be missing, my brother's service cert (discharged 2005) has no such corner...

Still is? While my father's service cert (discharged late 1980s) has the corner marked and an explanatory note below the marking letting people know the reason should it be missing, my brother's service cert (discharged 2005) has no such corner...

Oh, i didn't realise they had stop, "the corner", i was discharged from the RN in '89 and still, i am happy to say, had the corner attatched. But i knew a couple of ratings that were SNLR and had the corner removed.

Asked my brother and he thinks it was a fairly recent change related to human rights blah blah you know the rest.

Depressingly, and my dad backs him up on this too, he says the service certs do not show every ship served on - his is missing one of his ships, and my dad's is missing three! I won't repeat the comments about lazy admin officers not bothering to record things properly...

I'm surprised they had ships missed out, I were assessed every six months, for Character & Ability, by the Divisional Officer, and part of the entry made, on my SR was the unit that I was serving on. Of course if the rating was with a unit less than six months, then it could fall between assessments.

I suspect it's just completely random. The ship missed out on my brother's record he was with for 4 months so could have fallen between assessments but one of my dad's missing ships he was on for over a year. Finding this out also explains why my grandfather thinks my great great grandfather was on HMS Isis but no mention is made of it on his service record.