Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

Guest suze

I am trying to find my fathers war records - Private 62528 in West Yorkshire Regiment - Paul Fournel. Can anyone help me trace them please? He was also a Major in Intelligence Corp in WW2 so any help there too would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I am trying to find my fathers war records - Private 62528 in West Yorkshire Regiment - Paul Fournel. Can anyone help me trace them please? He was also a Major in Intelligence Corp in WW2 so any help there too would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

If he served in the forces after 1922, all his details should be at the Army personnel centre in Glasgow.

As next of kin, you should be able to access them.

There will be Medal index cards and medal rolls for his Great War service at Kew.

doogal

Suze

Without finding his Service records you can still do some Great War research into his service.

Your father's Medal Index Card can be downloaded from the NA website (for a cost of £3.50).

A link to the card is attached Here.

This will give you his basic details, Surname, Forename, Rank, Service Number, Regiment etc. as well as the Army Medal Office references needed to search the Medal Rolls at the National Archives for battalion references etc..

If he entered the war pre-1916 then the card is likely to tell you what theatre of war (France, East Africa etc.) and date of dis/embarkation in that theatre. Post-1916 cards tend to be blank for this information.

Hope this helps as a start.

Steve

Hi Suze,

Army List July 1943

Intelligence Corps.

Regular Army Emergency Commissions.

2nd Lts.

FOURNELL, P. [W.S./Lt. 1.8.41] [T/Capt. 1.8.41] 4.4.40.

Ian.

Many thanks Ian...what do the brackets indicate please. No wonder I couldn't trace him as I see he was given an extra 'L' on Fournel!

Suze

Your Fathers West Yorkshire Number 62528 was a late Dec 1917 or Jan 1918 Number, by that infomation he joined the West Yorks in one of these months. He could of joined from another Regiment or was a direct intake.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Kevin