Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two medal cards for the RASC and 1/5 Buffs

tgrubb

Hi

Can anyone help with additional information on these two medal cards.

Victor Pretty was my great uncle and served in the RASC as a driver by the look of it. Is it possible to work out where the RASC would have operated or was it too big a unit?

Sid Aylett seems to have served in 1/5 East Kent Reg but interestingly in Hedjaz.

Both survived the war.

Hope you can help

Cheers

Tim

"T/" would indicate that he was employed in a horse based unit. As he was not awarded the War Medal (and the theatre of war section is blank), it is likely that he did not deploy overseas.

There are ditto marks on the BWM. He did go overseas it seems but after 1-1-1916 (No 1915 Star)

Unfortunately, the Theatre of War is not generally entered on Medal cards that don't have a Star entitlement.

At some point he was wounded and was entitled to a Silver War Badge (SWB). The SWB List reference refers to Medal Rolls that are now held at the National archives at Kew (not online0. these will state date of enlistment, date of discharge (not the actually date he was wounded, though) and possibly the name of the Unit discharged from (it may just say, ASC, however)

Searching on the Forum "T4" refers to 4th New Armies Transport, though what exactly that refers to, I must declare my ignorance on.

As for the other one, disembodied is the Territorial term for Discharged, in this case probably at the end of his enlistment terms.

Steve.

Stebie9173 and Delta

Thanks for the above - it is the little things that a novice like me cannot glean from these cards that is important!

Thanks

Tim

Tim

The letters and numbers next to the medals refer to the entries in the medal rolls. In the case of Aylett, they tell you no more than the info on the MIC

Mick

Thanks Mick

Tim