Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th (left half) Entrenching Battalion

carolm

Greetings,

I am hoping someone can explain the following to me. It appears in the 5th Bn Gordon Highlanders War Diary for 19th November 1916:

“At 7p.m. a draft of 245 O.R. joined the Battalion from the 9th (left half) Entrenching Bn.”

What does “left half” mean in this context? In addition, I thought at first the reference was to the 9th Battalion Gordon Highlanders (a Pioneer Bn), but after reading an earlier thread, I’m not sure now.

In this thread from Sept 2004, regarding the differences between Entrenching Battalions and Pioneers, Engineers etc. James Hill stated that:

“The principal feature of the entrenching battalions (which were organized one to a division), was that they functioned both as construction labour units and also as forward infantry replacement depots.”

This "forward infantry replacement" seems to fit with what happened here. However I can’t find reference to any Entrenching Battalion in the 51st Division Order of Battle at http://www.1914-1918.net/51div.htm . Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Although I do not have information specific to the 51st Division, the other cases I have seen put the Entrenching Battalions in the Corps order of battle. That is, although the Entrenching Battalions were established one to a division, and their personnel were on the books of the units of that Division, they were nonetheless Corps troops.

I speculate that the rationale was that the Corps was the best place to put works units, so that they could be used more effectively, even when some Divisions, for example, were out of the line.

I hope I am not too far off base here.

Thanks James. Any ideas on the "left half" reference?

Carolyn

Thanks James. Any ideas on the "left half" reference?

Carolyn

Sorry! I have to cling at straws. Perhaps the 51st Division did not have an Entrenching Battalion associated with it (one might expect this to be the 51st Entrenching Battalion!). The 9th Division was also a Scottish Division. Perhaps the 9th and 51st shared an Entrenching Battalion.

I am only guessing. There must be some experts out there who will come to our aid!

I think James is on the right lines, although the numbering of Entrenching bns did not equate to the divisions they might have been attached to. When they were formed in July 1915, each was made up of drafts from two IBDs and left and right half might well reflect this. Unfortunately few Entrenching bn war diairies survive and I don't know which IBDs formed No 9 Bn, although there was another No 9 Entrenching Bn in Salonika and foremd from 60th Division's IBD during the early part of 1917

Charles M

If "Left half" is talking within the battalion it may be referring to C & D Companies. Companies in the 2/ Suffolks were referred to in this way for emabarkation purposes in their war diary. A & B = Right half, C & D = left half.

I have never confirmed it but I think that is the right way round...

Steve.

Stebie is correct as all infantry formations moved around the "left and right half" at battalion and company level. I think it dates back to the 1600's when you had regiments forming up "left of the line and right of the line" and within a unit you would have flanking companies, which would have been "grenadier and light companies", but I can't remember who stood where.

Graham.

A bit later than the 1600's but Grenadier Coy on the right and Light Coy on the left. Probably refers to the Battalion Coys between.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

They all seems to make sense.

Carolyn

An infantry bn. was designed to be easily split into two halves or wings ........ in a war of movement this was often advantageous. The 2 i/c, the 'senior major' commanded the left wing. In Dunn's 'War the Infantry Knew' 2 RWF do exactly this above la Ferte sous Jouarre 8 Sep 1914, Major Williams taking c and D Coys.