Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Slater 18599 Lancashire Fusiliers

Guest Nev

First time posting so go easy please :D

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some pointers in researching Pte John Slater 18599 of the Lancashire Fusiliers.

I have a bit of information. I believe he enlisted on 11/4/15 possibly in the North Lancs Regiment and I have a reg. no. 37312

He was discharged, wounded, on 24/07/17.

Did soldiers who enlisted get moved to different regiments and receive new reg. no's?

Does anyone know where the Lancashire Fusiliers were on 24/7/17 when he was injured?

Is there anyway I can find a date of birth or family details relating to him?

A lot of questions but any information would be fantastic.

Is there anyone out there who has the means to search any of the above that would be ideal

Thanks in advance

Nev

Nev, I can help you on the Lancashire Fusiliers front but there were lots of different LF battalions in the Great War. Do you know which one he was in? 24th July was just before the start of the British offensive in Flanders (the 3rd Battle of Ypres).

Nev

Do you know where he was from or any family details?

Hi Nev,

You can download his medal index card from here if you have not already:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=67

You can generally find out a man's battalion (in the regiment that administered his medals) from the Medal Rolls themselves. The reference numbers are on his Medal Index Card. To look at the Medal Rolls you will have to visit the National Archives, or get someone to do so on your behalf.

The Medal Index Card should give you some idea which regiment his medals were adminstered by. You may have some difficulty ascertaining his LF battalion as his medals were probably adminstered by the Loyals as he appears to have served with them last (second on the list). If you download and post his card on the site someone should be able to assist further.

Many of the LF service (raised for war service) battalions (9th to 13th and 15th to 23rd) used five digit numbers. His LF number is similar to many men who originally served with the 19th Bn. However, I have had a look at the original Nominal Rolls (in Michael Stedman's 'Salford Pals') of the 19th Bn and his name does not appear there....so he may well have served with another battalion.

Rgds

Tim

Thanks to you all for your replies. The only real information I have is from the medal card. See below.

I do know that at the time he was in France he was living in Radcliffe in Lancashire, he was at home in December 1916 as he witnessed his wifes death certificate when she died of TB. (You can't exactly say he was having the best time of his life can you!) On the death certificate he's listed as being in the Fusiliers (as well as an Iron Dresser, what ever iron dressers did?)

His wife died aged 27 so I would presume give or take a few years his was something of a similar age.

This is a copy of the medal card thing--------> post-10358-1137840187.jpg

Thanks to you all

Nev

Nev,

The MIC gives his enlistment date 11 Apr 15 and his discharge date 24 Jul 17. He appears to have been discharged due to wounds on this date....meaning that he was wounded some time prior to this. He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal meaning that first saw service after the 01 Jan 16...as he was not awarded a Star. As a result you know that he was wounded after the 01 Jan 1916....went home to the UK...and was eventually discharged unfit on the 24 Jul 17.

The LF entry appears interesting as it appears to have been added later...so you may find that his last regiment was in fact the LFs....there seems to be an asterix next to this entry...suggesting that this is what his medals were inscribed with.

The Medal Roll numbers are shown in the stamp on the card and I would suggest having someone look at these.

Rgds

Tim

Dear All,

Would anyone be so kind as to shed any like on the medals etc as Tim suggests.

Is there any where (regimental records etc) I could find out any details about John Slater. If so what would they hold? Date of birth, next of kin, etc?

Any information, however insignificant would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Nev