Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Office Versus War Department

Joe Sweeney

Can any one help in the symantics of the organization of the War Office that I don't quite understand.

What is the War Department?

I find this reference everywhere in primary sources, but no definition as to what it is.

Using Parliaments annual Army Estimate for 1914

Parliament funded the War Office as such in 15 votes.

With the War office and Army Council made up as such: The Army Council in 1914 was made up of 8 departments; Department of the Secretary, Department of the Military Secretary to the Secretary of State, Department of the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Department of the Adjutant General, Department of the Quartermaster-General, Department of the Master General of the Ordnance, Department of the Civil Member, Department of the Finance Member.

No where does Parliamernt fund for any department called the "War Department" even though through-out the Army Estimates references are made to the War Department with-in the estimates.

At this point I'm assuming that War Department is generic term applied to all departments of the Army Council and not a specific department. That is the Department of the Chief of the Imperial General Staff was a War Department and the Department of the Quartermaster-General was a War Department.

Is this correct or was there actually a specific war department?

Any help would be appreciated?

Joe Sweeney

Joe

Interesting question. I confirm that there was no separate War Department in the War Office and that it is a generic term. The only mentions of the term in the War Office Directory 1914 is in relation to War Department lands and vessels. Indeed, it is a term used for Army property. There may be some legal reason for its use.

Charles M