Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Lawson VC

nilis11

Private Edward "Ned" Lawson VC 1873-1955. He won his VC in 1897 in India, during the attack on the Dargai Heights while serving with the Gordon Highlanders.

I have a photograph of him taken in England at an army base during WW1. I do not know the base or the unit he served in during WW1. (not gordon highlanders)

Does any one know?

Nilis

Nilis,

All the books I've got (and a general sweep of the web) all state that he was 1st Btn Gordons until he was discharged 31 October 1902. As he was 24 years old in 1897 when he got the VC, He would have been at least 41 or 42 years old at the outbreak of WW1.

Odds on he didn't serve in the army, but was used as a morale booster to get volunteers. A chap I'm researching (daniel Burges VC) left the army in 1923 but went on to be a recruiting officer for the Glosters in WW2 - and he was in his 60's.

Les.

Mark,

I agree, it has gone downhill.... main thing I've noticed are that the updates relevant to the site itself don't happen. The last "site update" was March last year!

I've invested in some great reading material recently, so most of my queries are answered by books (don't tell my missus I said!!!...... she thinks I don't think?!?!)

Les.

Edward Lawson

Was born 11th April 1873 In Newcastle upon Tyne

Died 2nd July 1955 at Walker, Tyne & Wear

Buried in Heaton Cemetery, Newcastle upon Tyne

He won his V.C. on the 20th October 1897

In a attack on the Dargai Heights, during the Tirah Campaign

he carried Lt. Dingwall out of danger and then ran back to pick up Pte MacMillan. He was uder severe fire aqll the while and weas himself twice wounded

Hope this is of help

Brian

Private Edward "Ned" Lawson VC 1873-1955. He won his VC in 1897 in India, during the attack on the Dargai Heights while serving with the Gordon Highlanders.

I have a photograph of him taken in England at an army base during WW1. I do not know the base or the unit he served in during WW1. (not gordon highlanders)

Does any one know?

Nilis

nilis, what is your interest in Ned? Having the same surname as Ned (the only Lawson VC) I have done a bit of research on Ned so would be interested to see the picture you have.

Clint Lawson

BUXBOY

The photograph of Lawson VC came with several others photographs which could be of the army cycle corps. One picture is take during a drill with bicycles. Lawson is in uniform. Currently I am not able to scan the photograph but I'll see what I can do.

Les's suggestion that Edward Lawson could be a morale booster sounds plausible.

Nilis

I just had another look at the photograps. They were take at Darlington in 1916 and on the back is written C.S.M. E. Lawson VC.

Any idea which unit had its base at Darlington in 1916 and at Holbeach (may 1916)?

Any chance you could scan a pic or 2 and pop them on for us to view?

Lets try again and see if this works;

Meet CSM Edward Lawson VC,

Waht unit was he in during WW1?

Nilis

post-6445-1139231324.jpg

Nilis,

CSM Edward Lawson VC of the Northern Cyclist Battalion.

Graham.