Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. "Good Hope"

smiths565

Hello everybody

H.M.S. "Good Hope" was sunk by gunfire on 1st November 1914 by the German armoured cruisers SMS Scharnhorst and SMS Gneisenau off the Chilean Coast during the battle of Coronel, the entire crew was lost.

I have recently been contacted by the Great Grandson of Frank Clay SS/101752. One of the questions he has asked, which I cannot answer is How long was Frank at sea before he was sunk.

I know its a tough one, but does anybody know what the "Good Hope" was doing prior to this.

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance

Robert.

Listed as Flagship South American station from August 1914 in my sources. I know Monmouth more or less steamed off to war from the dockyard wall, GH may have done the same, but beware - many / most reserve vessels were "nucleus crewed" - up to 1/3 of complement - prior to the ouitbreak of war. Churchill's (more probably Battenberg's) decision not to demobilise the reserve after the Test Mobilisation has to have been taken by 2nd August, which gives a probable "latest date" for him to have joined her in mid-July.

To complete the story, Good Hope was an expensive ship to operate (had a large crew) and had been placed in reserve with her three sister ships in 1913. She was brought into service again as stated under the Test Mobilisation.

Best wishes,

Michael

My grandfather Basil Phillips was a 'sparker' on Good Hope from September 1913 until 1st July 1914, when he was transferred to the Swift.

Is there anything specific you want to know between these dates, as his diaries are quite comprehensive?

Thanks to everyone involved for the information - the excellent website link from Peter answers a lot of questions.

I have passed your comments on.

The response on this forum, as always is 1st class.

My grandfather Basil Phillips was a 'sparker' on Good Hope from September 1913 until 1st July 1914, when he was transferred to the Swift.

Is there anything specific you want to know between these dates, as his diaries are quite comprehensive?

I'd like to leave this kind offer on hold for now - I think Frank Clay was called up whilst working in the Sheffield Steelworks. But if I do need to know anything I'll drop in again.

Kind regards

Robert.