Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Ypres

gem22

Hi ya Mark-

According to the guide you can rent a bike from the tourist office in Kemmel at Reningelststraat 10 (00 32 57 45 04 55) for £5 a day. Simon Calder writes quite a long article in the guide about "going up a hill and coming down ecstatic in Westhoek" on his cycling holiday there. Having never been (to my shame!) it seems a great way to see the area.

I noticed in today's Independent that if you want a free copy of the 8 page Traveller supplement called "Flanders Fileds" them you need to call Paul Parrish at Independent Solutions on 020-70052118.

By the way, I don't work for the Independent- that rate I'm banging on about it!

Happy cycling... and eating.

Mark

Paul

With mussels I work to my mother's old adage that if they are good if there's an "R" in the month. Seeing as it's September, I hope this is also good for Flanders. (Mussels, chips, mayo - good way to start a diet, Lee - none of this Atkins stuff.)

John

:rolleyes:

My brother in law, who is honorary inspector of mussels and [in Germany and Austria] goulasch soup, says that the mussels at the Amfora, Poperinghe, are to die for. Rated at 9/10. However [and don't ask me 'cos I don't eat them] because the Amfora is so fussy, the season is very short. It might be now, I suppose, because, guess what, brother in law is due at the Amfora any day now. He can have my share.

£5 a day from Kemmel? Blimey, the Youth Stadium in Ieper charges 5 euros a day. Mind you, you do tend to feel like you've ridden the range with John Wayne at the end.