The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Col. William Hannam Thornton

Guest tony stead

Guest tony stead

Can anyone help with....

Col. William Hannam Thornton

Made Honorary Colonel 2nd West Riding Artillery Volunteers

1938.03.28 Maj. William Hannam Thornton, MC, TD.

Newspaper clipping which details his marriage to Hilda Croft:

The article appeared in the Cleckheaton & Spenborough Guardian on Friday October 26, 1917

A large congregation at Pudsey Parish church on Wednesday afternoon testified to great local interest in a military wedding - That of Capt. William Hannam Thornton elder son of Mr and Mrs David Hannam Thornton of Oakroyd Hall Birkenshaw (who has served nearly two years with the 49th Artillery Division in France, and is at present with the 69th Artillery Division). and Miss Hilda Croft youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs Frederick Lister Croft of Alder House Pudsey.

Would anyone have any information that could help me trace Col. William Hannah Thornton or his family.

His Father was David Hannam Thornton and his Mother Isabel(la) (Nee Stead).

William had a brother named John Leslie Thornton (Born 1901) and a sister names Mary Sophia Thornton (Born 1899).

His father David Hannam Thornton sold the family home in Birkenshaw, Yorkshire, UK. called Oakroyd Hall in 1918 and I can find no trace of the family after that.

I have tried searching the national archives for a service record card but have had no luck - Can't find any trace of him after Ocxt 26 1917.