Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MERCANTILE MEDAL

weejock

When my g/g/grandfather was drowned at sea in October 1914, He was a Merchant seaman. Would this intitle him to the Mercantile Medal? IF so would I be able to get the medal card from Kew online?

any help or info appreciated

John

They had to have served on one or more voyages through a danger zone.

Since he drowned early in the war he may or may not have fulfilled the requirement.

I would do a search on his name and see if it comes up or any probables. In the event of seeing a likely match it only costs 3.50 and you get a sheet of 6 names.

I would give it a go.

Good luck let us all know how you get on :D

Fred

John, whether or not you find his medal indexes, all his Merchantile Marine records are available at the NA, and i believe he will also be found on the Seaman died at sea register, unfortunatly none of that is available online. Ithink the records ( from memory are in BT 372 ) if you use the procat search engine, and put in at least your G.G.Grandfathers surname and the file reference BT you'll get the list of men with that surname, and a place of birth, you can narrow it down further by using his full name & in reverse, or his initials, depending on how he is listed in the index.

Regards

Ian.

I'm not an expert on medal entitlements, but I suspect this may be an issue: did your g/g/grandfather die as a result of enemy action (in October 1914, that would pretty much mean he was lost on one of a very few ships that were mined) or was he simply washed overboard and lost in a tragic incident that had nothing to do the war?

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks all. His ship, HMHS ROHILLA was wrecked in a storm off the coast of Whitby as it headed out to Dunkirk to pick up the wounded from France, I will try an do a search of NA, (a site that often confuses me :blink: ) and get back to you

thanks

john

I think I may have found him, I did a search of the NA and up came the following

R245151 BLEAKLEY J 12/11/15 BELFAST.

can anyone tell me what the date refers to, ie BIRTH ,DEATH or when he left the service? and does BELFAST refer to birth place?

again thanks

john