Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How did a Battalion get to France?

Nick Farr

I am researching the history of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards.

I would be grateful for information about the logistics on how a Battalion and its equipment were transported to France.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

Do not know much about the logistics but the History records that Battalion H.Q., transport, and eight officers proceed on s.s. Palm Branch. The rest of the battalion embarked on s.s. St. Petersburg.

Annette

I recently read Charles Messenger's "Call to Arms". In the book he explains all the motions behind the BEF 's mobilization to France at the beginning of the war. Just one battalion, I imagine would do the same but on a smaller scale.

Gloria

It's worth remembering that the process could be a bit chaotic and may not have lived upto the ideal deployment. For example, the 33rd Division artillery went from training camp at Bulford, they remained behind for a month for live firing practice after the rest of the Division set off. They went on a total of 51 trains over 4 days from Amesbury to Southampton with 40 men and 8 horses crammed into each carriage in a journey described as memorable. On arrival they found two transporters in the wrong berths and a third broke down forcing an entire brigade to disembark. On arrival at Le Harve they found an error had been made in arranging billets and one brigade was marched 8 miles out and then back to Le Harve before finding billets.

Annette, Gloria and Roger D

Many thanks for the info.

A couple of questions. Annette, do you have any info on when replacements to the Welsh Guards embarked for France, dates etc……and can I ask where you got your info Roger on the 33rd Division?

Gloria, thanks, I’ll add it to my growing list of books for birthday presents!!!!!!!.

Thanks again

Nick

As an example, the War Diary of my home town battalion (49th Canadian), reported their move to France this way:

Shorncliffe OCT 8 (1915)

3.50 am 2 officers, 54 other ranks, 38 horses, 11 4 wheel vehicles 2 2 wheel vehicles 5 bicycles

5.25 am 1 officer. 54 other ranks, 38 horses 10 4 wheel vehicles 2 2 wheel vehicles 4 bicycles

left for SOUTHAMPTON and embarked there the same day for HARVE (sic)

Folkestone OCT 9

5.30 am 30 officers 890 other ranks left and proceded on board the 1268 "GOLDEN EAGLE" for BOULOGNE, arriving there at 8 P.M. & proceded to LARGE REST CAMP commanded by Col. MAUNSELL, commandant OSTROHOVE CAMP.

That is pretty much it! It does does say how the advance parties rejoined the main body!

Folkestone was within marching distance, I suppose, but the Southampton people would have gone by train.