Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying a cap badge

l.harding

I have a photograph which I thought was my grandfather but he was in the Gloucestershire Regiment and the cap badge doesn't look right (unless it was broken on one side but I guess not likely for a photo?). I have looked on a few websites but no luck. It looks like a standing lion or some mythical beast (facing left) with one front leg raised and maybe tail curled over its back, and a bar with inscription underneath. Not very clear though! Can anyone point me somewhere that might help with this? I would be very grateful!

Lesley Harding

Lots of possibilities - King's own (Lancaster), Buffs (if it was a dragon rather than a lion), Monmouths...quite a few options. There are quite a few books, but if you can post a picture you'll probably get a pretty quick response. Also, just because it's the 'wrong' regiment, don't assume it's not granddad, as he could well have served in more than one regiment.

Could be Herefordshire Regt. (Lion facing Left, Curly tail, leg raised, scroll)

Herefordshire being close to Gloucestershire, could be the connection.

As the others have said previously lots of possibilities, if it's infantry and assuming it's a lion (not any other beast) then King's Own (Lancaster) or Herefordshire Regiments seem to best fit the description.

The fact you say 'Bar' underneath and not scroll suggests to me that King's Own (Lancaster) Regiment is the more likely.

Other possibilities if the beast is a dragon then it could be the Buffs or Berkshire Regiments.

Can you post a picture? or tell us what you know about him, names, service numbers etc. and you should hopefully be able to get a pretty good answer.

Steve

Herefords sounds favourite:~<::Badge Link::>