Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help required please

Guest kenneth mcarthur

Guest kenneth mcarthur

Hello everyone,

I have just received my great grandfather' s army records and after trolling through 12 pages (all very interesting!) I am really stumped to what alot of the 'code' is for example:

on one document entitled FORM TO BE INSERTED IN THE PORTFOLIO IN THE PLACE OF DOCUMENTS SENT TO CHELSEA.

there is a line which reads :documents to be enumerated: W3997/B120,103(3)B281,B611(3)B178,179A,D400 .......CERTFICATE

any help would be greatly appreciated,

alex airlie

Hello Alex,

I am new to the forum myself and I found the best information coming back once I had named the soldier, his regiment and his number. There are some fantastic people on the forum who posses a huge amount of knowledge, and I'm sure you will get some feedback if you include some of the detail mentioned.

Regards

ray

Hello everyone,

I have just received my great grandfather' s army records and after trolling through 12 pages (all very interesting!) I am really stumped to what alot of the 'code' is for example:

on one document entitled FORM TO BE INSERTED IN THE PORTFOLIO IN THE PLACE OF DOCUMENTS SENT TO CHELSEA.

there is a line which reads :documents to be enumerated: W3997/B120,103(3)B281,B611(3)B178,179A,D400 .......CERTFICATE

any help would be greatly appreciated,

alex airlie

Hi there,

Yes I would agree with the previous messsage. Check out this entire website, if the answers to your questions are not already there, you will soon have them.

Regards,

Ken

I think you will find that it all refers to the Royal Hospital Chelsea. As well as in-pensioners, they also administered army pensions,the so-called "out pensioners." I looks like they have listed the documents required to process this.

Terry Reeves

Guest kenneth mcarthur
I think you will find that it all refers to the Royal Hospital Chelsea. As well as in-pensioners, they also administered army pensions,the so-called "out pensioners." I looks like they have listed the documents required to process this.

Terry Reeves

Thanks so far folks!.....My relation was KENNETH MCARTHUR ,SGT,5TH,9TH,7TH BATTALION HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY ARMY NUMBER 355715

regards,

alex

p.s medal card has S.W.B list D/A/1743 ?? any ideas?

medal card has S.W.B list D/A/1743 ?? any ideas?

Your man was discharged from the Army due to sickness, wounds or some other reason and was awarded the Silver War Badge to show he'd 'done his bit'.

List D/A/1743 is the Army Medal Office reference for this award and can be translated into a listing in the relevant Silver War Badge Roll held at the National Archives, Kew. This listing will give you such details as his date of enlistment, reason and date of discharge, unit discharged from etc.

You'll need to do this in person at Kew, or get somebody to do it for you, as this information isn't available online.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Alex,

It looks to me as though your G.Grandfather may have applied to become a chelsea pensioner, the document 'Form to be inserted in the portfolio in the lace of documents sent to chelsea, would take the place of the documents listed to be enumerated, the codes of which identify the individual form e.g. form B.103 is his ' Casualty Form - Active service ' form, D.400 is the form titled ' Descriptive return of a soldier medically boarded before discharge or Transfer to the Reserve' as there are only 12 forms within your G.Grandfather records, and if none of the above are present then they may possibly be present in the WO 364 - soldiers retired to pension section , unless the NA found the records you have in that section. Alternativly it is possible the Royal Hospital Chelsea still hold these records in their archives, might be worth contacting them to find out.