Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Leadley R.E. M.I.C.

slovdave

Hi all.

I have an M.I.C. copied online. Most of the info I now understand, except some bits in the 'Remarks section' as follows:

i) 538063- easy enough, this is his renumber of 1917.

ii) What appears to be Ce (2), could this be 'Country of embarkation', and if so what does 2 refer to?

iii) 4-3-19 appears to be his date of transfer to Army reserve.

NB: His Division (28) went to Salonika in late 1915, but I am not convinced he was with them, as his 'Theatres of war' section only shows (1) France. Could this (2) be the clue I need?.

Also across the bottom of the 'Remarks' section is written:

BM/251/8 or possibly 13M/251/8

Any ideas?

Sorry I can't at this stage post an image.

as ever, thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers.

Dave.

Ce (2) - Could this possibly be "Cl. Z" as in Class Z Reserve ?

Theatre of War on an MIC will only show the FIRST theatre of War, not each one. The card, remember, was purely for admin of his medals. They did not envisage them being used for Research!!

What date of entry is shown?

The remarks will probably be correspondence references. If this still exists (doubtful) the references are long defunct.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

You could well be right, the looping script may well be Cl (z). What did this form of reserve signify?.

Date of entry is 15-1-15 for France.

Once again, most helpful.

Cheers.

Dave.

Class Z Reserve was the Reserve for those who signed up "for the duration". Instead of instant demobilisation most of the New Army men were transferred to this Reserve in case of resumption of hostilities. The Reserve was abolished in 1920, effectively demobilising all those on that particular Reserve.

The 28th Division went first to France - in January 1915 - and fought at 2nd Ypres and Loos before moving to Salonika. This would seem to imply that Arthur was with the Division from at least January 1915 to the TF renumbering in early 1917.

Steve.

Thanks again Steve.

I am sure you are right that Arthur was with the same unit up until early 1917. After that it gets a bit murky.

His service records indicate that he was transferred to the Army reserve 04-03-19, then discharged 08-03-19, then appointed to a Temporary commission as 2nd Lieutenant Royal Sussex Regt 09-03-19 (I presume T.A. though it does not say so).

Do you have any idea where and for how long a P.O.'s course might take place at that time?.

He continued as Subaltern with the Royal Sussex until 01-09-21 when he is shown as relinquishing his commission but retaining the rank of 2nd Lieut.

He then reappears 01-06-24 being appointed to a T.A. commission as 2nd Lieut. Royal Engineers.

I'm afraid I am very hazy as to what some of this means, having only been a lowly private soldier in the T.A. myself. Was it for instance standard practise for a man commissioned from the ranks to be posted to a different unit?. I would assume this to be sensible, but am not sure if it happened.

Anyway, doubtless all will be revealed in time.

Cheers.

Dave.