Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disappering features of the western Front

T8HANTS

Hi

We often read in posts here, of some feature of the Great War battlefields, about to be redeveloped, rapidly disappearing, or now lost.

I am thinking of such things, as mine craters, or smaller features of the landscape.

As the National Trust are supposed to preserve features said to be important to the Nations heratage, should currently undisturbed areas of the Western Front battlefields be included in their remit. Or areas that have been disturbed returned to their post war condition.

If an area cost so much of the Nations blood and treasure, does it not make it part of our heratage? If such an idea is outside of the National Trusts brief isn't time that such a body was formed, that could work with the local and national goverment, to ensure that the needs of all are met amicabaly.

Thoughts please, and which five features would you put into their control.

Gareth

Gareth.

As a registered charity I think you will find that their constitution restricts their operations to England, Wales and NI - they cannot even operate in Scotland as far as I know.

Neil

Gareth.

............. - they cannot even operate in Scotland as far as I know.

Neil

The National Trust for Scotland operate north of the border. As far as I know their property holdings are restricted to the Heritage of this country and not overseas.

This comes as no surprise, so is it not time that such a body, or charity was created, as land prices must be getting away from the ability of those rare individuals who could or would want to step in and save sites.

We need a Battlefields Trust, I think.

Gareth

I see they have been involved with trying to save part of Agincourt battlefield, so hopefully they will expand the "abroad " part of their campaigning to cover the Great War battlefields.