Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel, 3rd /4th (Militia) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

bigronhartley

Hello,

I would be most grateful if anyone with access to the newspapers for Belfast and surrounding areas could have a look to see if there are any reports or articles regarding Colonel EJPF Macartney Filgate. The key events in his career are:

6th December, 1902 appointed Lt Colonel and assumed command of the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

9th January, 1908 granted Honorary rank of Colonel of the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

6th December, 1912 on completion of his period of service in command of the 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles he relinquishes his commission

14th October, 1914 appointed to command the 12th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

10th June, 1927 died in Gibraltar

If anyone who consults the newspapers for this period at the local Newspaper Library could possibly help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Ron

I have seen a large (wall painting size!) photo of the 4th Bn R Ir Rifles. It is framed in a black wood and what struck me was the KRRC 'cross' which is featured on the frame.

Anyway, it was in the possession of a family from the North Antrim area.

Hopefully I should be able to get more info about this picture by the end of the week.

I have to say the picture looks pre 1900 to me. You never know he may be in it but ....

Hello Desmond,

Thanks for your reply, EJPF Macartney Filgate was commissioned in 1887 but I'm not sure whether in the

3rd or 4th Bn R Ir Rifles. I'll try and confirm which. I'm sure he must have been pretty high profile in Antrim during this time scale, that's why I was asking for a look-up in the Local Newspapers. I have searched the various Regimental Websites but there is very little information on the Militia Battalions. Is there an Archive that might have records/photos for this period ?

If you are able to help, or put me in contact with anyone who may be able to, I would be most grateful. Thanks again. Regards, Ron

It may be worth trying the Local Studies Library in Ballymena. Google for North Eastern Education and Library Board/local studies.

Should get you an e-mail address for Yvonne Hirst. They have all the old papers for the region on microfiche.

And if he is, as you suspect, a prominent personality, they may have other info.

Des

I'm not sure about the 3rd RIR, but I know 4th RIR were historically the 'Royal North Downs' - South Down was linked to the 5th RIR for some reason. I think 4 RIR's base (for want of a better word) was Newtownards. I might be looking at newspapers for this area in the next few weeks and if I get a chance I'll check those dates out for you.

Swizz

Hello Swizz, Thanks very much for your reply. I would be most grateful if you would be kind enough to look at the newspapers for this area and check the dates for any reports of EJPF Macartney Filgate. Thanks again. Regards, Ron