Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMT Royal Edward

lionboxer

Found an old topic mentioning the Royal Edward but seeing that it was almost two years old I thought I would start a new one. Is there a passenger/boarding list anywhere? Trying to find info about 20579 Pte. Albert Edward Harvey 1st Essex who I believe was drowned on this vessel when it was sunk 13/8/15.

Lionboxer

The initial report from the Times (18-8-1915) :

RoyalEdwardPart1.pngRoyalEdwardPart2.png

Steve.

Some Officer losses (Times 7-9-1915):

RoyalEdwardOfficersLossesTimes7-9-1.jpg

Steve.

HMT Royal Edward, 11,117 grt, sunk 13th August 1915 by German submarine SMU UB14, 6 miles W from Kandeliusa, Aegean Sea, carrying goverment stores from Avonmouth & Alexandria to Mudros. Owned by Canadian Northern Steamships Ltd-Toronto. 132 crew died.

Best wishes

David

From my local "Wisbech Standard/Cambridgeshire Times 20th August 1915"

but it's an Essex Regt man that I would like info about.

And it is the posting of extra information that may assist in drawing the post to someone elses attention! B)

Presumably if you know the Casualties Home town it might be prudent to check the local Contemporary papers for news of his demise?;That would be the first step in finding out more of him

"Albert Edward Harvey 1st Essex who I believe was drowned on this vessel when it was sunk 13/8/15."

Presumably you've used SDGW & CWGC, Census returns.

Cape Helles Memorial has the names of those who died or were buried at sea in Gallipoli waters.

HARVEY, A E, Pte. is on the Essex Regt.panel no. 231, under the heading HT ROYAL EDWARD.

The details in CWGC are in Memorial Register 4, THE HELLES MEMORIAL, GALLIPOLI, Part Twelve. Soldiers Lost At Sea A – Z 1914 – 1918 which I used in the Burnley research.

Other than this I suggest following Harry's advice re. local contemporary papers.

Kath.

Lionboxer, I did some research on an Attleborough man who was lost on the Edward. Was your man an Essex man?

1/Essex lost 174 O.R's, but 172 of them were volunteers who'd transfer from the Norfolk's (3rd Special Reserve) based at Felixstowe, 100 on 23 June and 200 on 24 July.

Out of a total compliment of 1586 less than 500 were saved.

I see in the Times report above that there was no mention that Major Bromley was one of the 6 V.C's before breakfast.

Keith

CWGC:

Private ALBERT EDWARD HARVEY

20579, 1st Bn., Essex Regiment

who died

on 13 August 1915

Son of Mrs. Lucy Hannah Harvey, of White Heath Rd., Bergh Apton, Norwich.

Remembered with honour

HELLES MEMORIAL

I took my details from Soldiers Died CD, additional details to those provided by Kath are:-Born Mundham, Enlisted Norwich, Resided Sizeland (a small hamlet no longer on current maps, but I think, and I'm sure Lionboxer will know, was near Burgh Apton). Pte. Harvey was formerly 17790, Norfolk Regt.

Keith

Thank you Snavek and Kath. The details furnished by you and GrandsonMichael have hopefully now enabled us to have Albert Harvey's name placed on our memorial at Bergh Apton. He is not commemorated on any other local memorial and as his NoK lived here I think it is fitting that we should "claim" him. Sizeland is now known as Sisland and is between Bergh Apton and Loddon and next to Mundham where he was born. (Snavek I note you used SDGW, can I be rude and ask if you would do further lookup's for me as I'm sure there's further info we've missed on our other men. Please PM me.) One mystery that will probably never be cleared up is why he wasn't put on the memorial before.

Lionboxer

Is this him?

From Free BMD:

Births Mar 1877

Harvey Albert Edward

District Vol Page

Loddon 4b 215

Kath,

I don't know if it is him. That would have made him 38 at time of his death and still single (mother named as NoK).Still possible though. I checked the 1901 census and came up with an Alfred Harvey aged sixteen and born in Mundham who was an ag.lab. I think we'll have to fine tune our research.

Lionboxer

• 10 months later...

Kath,

I know. I helped write the article!! Our research has come a long way since I posted on the Forum, including a further six men (thirteen in total) who have connections with Bergh Apton. We will soon be presenting our case to the PCC and PC for the addition of these men to the twenty five already commemorated.

Lionboxer