Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Members of 446 Field Company, R.E.

Mangham1

My grandfather, 459918 Spr Mangham, Cecil A (also R.E. (T) 4284) was born in Swinton near Rotherham in the West Riding. His records were destroyed during WW2.

Originally, the RE Museum told me that, based on his numbers, he would have served in one of the two Field Companies attached to 49 (West Riding) Division. Much later, the Museum told me he would have served with 446 Field Company, the 2nd (Northumbrian). Naturally that came as quite a shock and I am curious to know how he would have been allocated to a TF unit based in the North East. Could someone talk me through the process - enlistment (to what?), training (with whom?) and allocation to a unit (on reporting for duty at the outbreak of war?)?

On the Medals Roll his name appears on the same page as Spr 4282 Hammerton, Joseph J, 4283 Dennison, Tom T and 4285 Lazenby, Lockwood. Does anyone know where they were living prior to 1914 and whether they too were in 446 Field Company?

I would be very grateful for any help from the experts.

Grant

446 Field Company originated in Newcastle. The HQ and the two Field Companies were were based at Barras Bridge prior to the war. They served with 50th (Northumbrian). It is likely that the other men were originally in the same unit, however check their medal index cards to see if they too had 6 figure numbers that conforms with Sapper Mangham's.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Thank you for your reply. The other Sappers I mentioned do have adjacent 6-digit numbers, so presumably my grandfather did not have an RE (T) number on enlistment, only on call up? I ask that because I do not think the other men were from the same area.

Can you or any other member help me with my other question about the procedures men , especially Sappers, would have followed firstly to enlist (to what? a local unit of the TF?), then to train (with this same local unit, presumably?) and then to be allocated to a unit, presumably on mobilisation?