Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Baldonnell Airfield

Jerrymurland

My grandfather was posted to 23 EPD at Baldonnell in 1919 - can anyone shed any light on this airfield, I gather it is down Dublin way.

Jerry

Baldonnel Airfield opened 1917, 16km to the south west of Dublin situated off the N7 main road route to the south and south west. Currently in use by the Air Corps, and for other government purposes, it has been suggested in the past as a possible second commercial airport for Dublin, especially for low-cost carriers such as Ryanair. No firm proposals yet exist for its privatisation or use for commercial purposes. It was the airfield from which the first Aer Lingus flights took place. It also hosts an International Air-Show every year, generally attended by Russian models such as the MiG and Sukhoi series jets and older European models. Since 1922 it has been known as Casement Aerdrome.

It’s original 1918 RAF role was as one of 7 Training Depots, alongside Collinstown and Tallaght in Dublin, Fermoy in North Cork, Oranmore in Galway, the Curragh in Kildare, and Aldergrove in South Antrim. With the end of WW1, and the reduction in the RAF, Casement Aerodrome had become, prior to its handover in 1922 to the Irish Air Corps, an operational base.

Dave

:D

Hi Jerry,

If you want to see what Baldonel aerodrome looked like during the 60's, then may i suggest you get a copy of the film The Blue Max. This was where the film was shot!

tim

quote name='Jerrymurland' date='Jan 20 2006, 09:34 AM' post='382676']

Thanks Guys, didn't know about the Blue Max connection - interesting

Here's a picture taken by the late Charles Boddington during filming. Sadly he was killed here in an SE-5 replica during the filming of von Richthofen and Brown.

Baldonnell is now also home to the Irish Air Corps museum, with a good collection of mainly post-war aeroplanes. I don't know whether it is normally open to the public though.

post-8088-1138113903.jpg