Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WOII David Haley, 12th West Yorks, POW Battle of Loos

bigronhartley

Hello, I would be most grateful for any help in researching WOII David Haley, Reg Number 3/9899, 12th West Yorkshire Regiment, who was reported missing on 27.9.1915 at the Battle of Loos and subsequently confirmed a POW at Munster, Germany. Any help, suggestions regarding sources of information would be much appreciated. Thanks. Ron Hartley.

David Haley is listed in the index to WO161. The page numbers are OK so the reports can be obtained on line. (if the index is correct, sometimes it is not). I have page 2092. It mentions that he was believed to have been moved to a Hospital as "he became insane". I have not got page 2248

Doug

Hello Doug,

Thanks for your quick response regarding David Haley. You say he must have either escaped or was repatriated as he was interviewed on his return and his report can be obtained on line. Could you give me an idea of what information his report is likely to contain ? Thanks again. Regards, Ron

Ron,

I had to edit my reply after you had read it (temporary insanity on my part). The report that I have is by Pte Thomas Bonson Dickinson of the DLI. It is quite extensive as reports go and relates to his teatment and conditions at the various places he was captive. He escaped (Dickinson) on Oct 19th 1917. He left Munster I in March 1917. Sgt Maj Haley, as he refers to him as must have been transfered to the hospital between these dates (if Pte Dickinson got his facts right as this is what he was told by someone else). The other page probably has more info as the index states 12/West Yorks which this report does not mention as he did not know his unit.

The page you want is available from the NA on line and is part of WO161/99. It will set you back £3.50 for about 50 pages which will include the one you want. The NA on line can be awkward at times as it sometimes says no record or similar. Be persistant and you will find what you want.

It is possible that he was repatriated if he was classed as insane but the index does not indicaste that he gave a report, just that he was mentioned in reports by others. If the other report is a good one then it could give you a lot of information about the conditions David Haley endured. I say endured as Dickinson's report indicates some poor treatment.

Doug

PS if you have difficulty with getting the report let me know

Hello Doug, Thanks again for your input. You say the page is part of WO161/99 and it costs £3.50 for about 50 pages which will include the one I want. Are these pages images of the original reports and do the remaining pages have reports of other POWs ? I've never down-loaded anything from The NA so I wondered what format they come in and how they can be stored. Thanks. Regards, Ron

Ron,

The images I got are in PDF and are scanned copies of the original printed reports. You get a set of PDFs each about 5 pages. WO161 PoW reports are in a few series and include Officer reports, Medical Officer reports and OR reports from /94 to /101 or thereabouts with the last being the index. All are interviews are with returning PoW prior to the end of hostilities. The printed reports do not contain all the reports, just a selection of them but do have lists inside of those whose reports have not been used not all of which are in the index. The original reports are elsewhere FO something or other, which is another series full of PoW databut is not available on line. All the pages you get are of reports except possible one or two depending on the set you get. The first and last pages may be the end of a report or the beginning without end. Early printed reports are quite brief but most of these later ones are detailed and well worth the money.

Doug

PS if you buy this set and find any reference to Gustrow let me know.

Hello Doug,

I'll give it a try, don't hold your breath ! My IT skills are non-existant. Thanks again for your help. Regards, Ron