Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army of Occupation?

Bantamenace

After further research , i have found that my Great-grandfather served in Germany after the Armistice with the Army of Occupation until March 1919. What exactly is the Army of Occupation?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave,

I expect you can find out more complete histories in WW1 history books and off the internet. But principally, under the terms of the armistice, the Allies were to occupy part of the German Rhinelands (such towns as Cologne). Basically to prevent a re-invasion should the peace treaty negotiations break down. Also they helped maintain law and order at a time of near-revolution in Germany, following the abdication of the Kaiser. But that was not the occupation force's original objective.

At first manned by serviceman who had been in the fighting, gradually as these men were demobbed, they were replaced by national service recruits, until the occupation ended later in the 1920's.

Ian

A number of Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) men were transferred to the AOO at the end of the war. It must have been galling to see the Armistice and then be told you're off to Germany!

If your relative served with the Swansea Bn - lets talk!

Bernard