Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment to go with a name

Richard Osgood

Dear all,

I am searching for information on a friend's grandfather - we have a name but no service number or Regiment. The chap's name is Frederick Hand and he was recruited in the Yorkshire area and survived the war. Apparently there used to be a photo of him in uniform sitting on a horse though I accept this could mean anything! Any help most gratefully received

cheers

Richard

Did he have a middle name Richard? Theres 24 Frederick Hand with MIC's here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=score+desc so a middle name MAY help to narrow it down a little. A few in Artillery I noticed & one in the Yorkshire Light Infantry, so there are options ...

Also, can your friend remember if he was wearing any pouches etc on his unoform as it may help narrow the options down more.

Did he have a middle name Richard? Theres 24 Frederick Hand with MIC's here http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=score+desc so a middle name MAY help to narrow it down a little. A few in Artillery I noticed & one in the Yorkshire Light Infantry, so there are options ...

Also, can your friend remember if he was wearing any pouches etc on his unoform as it may help narrow the options down more.

Steve,

many thanks for this. I'll ask on the middle name. The presence of a horse might indicate the Sergeant in the RFA I suppose

R

Dear Steve and All,

it looks as though the chap in question is Sergeant Frederick Hand of the Royal Field Artillery no.24884 as there are links to the W Riding. This would fit with a passing comment that this chap was an NCO. Does anyone with expertise on the artillery of the period have any more information on this fellow?

many thanks once more in advance!

Richard