Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

165 MGC Compagny in LA COUTURE

michel knockaert

searching help to found informations on 165 MGC Compagny maybe deployed at LA COUTURE area, between BETHUNE and ARMENTIERES from creation of MGC and the end of the conflict.

Thank you in advance

Michel KNOCKAERT (french living in the village of LA COUTURE)

Michel

If no one else replies in the meantime, I will try and get that information to you

late next week, when I return to work.

Geoff

Michel

If no one else replies in the meantime, I will try and get that information to you

late next week, when I return to work.

Geoff

Geoff

Thank you for you king message, I need really held for restore the 2nd R.W.STEAD from 165 MGCC wrist tag to the family of this soldier who was probably in this area and survived the conflict.

Michel

Michel

The 165th MG Coy was part of the 165th inf Bde, 55th Division. There were three Infantry

Brigades in this Division and each had its own attached MG Coy

164th Inf Bde - 164th MG Coy

165th Inf Bde - 165th MG Coy

166th Inf Bde - 166th MG Coy

A forth MG Coy was added as the Divisional MG Coy in 1917 and this was the 196th MG Coy.

The 165th MG Coy was formed on 26.2.16. On the 15.2.18 all four MG Coy's amalgamated

to form the 55th MG Battalion, the 165th MG Coy became B Coy of the Battalion.

At the end of 1917 55th Division came under control of 1st Army and moved into the

Givenchy/Festubert area and remained here into April of 1918 when on the 9th April

assaulted by the Germans. There is a memorial in the area to the Division's defence

during this period.

Hope this is sufficient information for you but If you require any further information

I can look it up for you in the Divisional History although its quite small compared to others.

Geoff