Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please with Lincs Regt/Labour Corps

Hindoo Stan

Last Friday I joined a local Great War study course at the library. I was chatting with the elderly guy next to me who had a general interest in the subject but knew virtually nothing about his own fathers war service. His father was called Gilbert Billcliff from Batley, Yorks. No other info. The strongest Medal Index Card candidate by far is :-

Medal Card of Bilcliffe, Gilbert

Lincolnshire Regiment 33478 Private

Labour Corps 24106 Private

Feel free to shoot me down if I've got the wrong card. I'm new to this game. Can anyone please help with further details about this man. It would be nice to give his son a surprise this Friday. Tim

Those numbers seem rather familiar:

No definite conclusion reached but perhaps the same? 12th Lincolns then 46th Labour Corps Company?

You could try Graham Stewart to see if he can match those LC numbers to a Company.

Steve.

Tim,

Welcome to the Forum. I've just caught sight of this post and can tell you the following;-

In February 1917 the Labour Corps was formed and many of it's first Labour Companies were formed from infantry units. The 41st Labour Company, Labour Corps was formed from the 2nd Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment and on transfer all members were given new regimental numbers. The new numbers series issued to 41st Labour Company, L.C. were from 24001 - 24,600.

My conclusion therefore is that 33478 Pte Gilbert Bilcliffe was serving with the 2nd Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment and was transferred to 41st Labour Company, Labour Corps and renumbered 24106.

Keep plugging away as I'm sure you'll find him in the Medal Roll Books as well as the MIC, and there is also a possibility his service records may have survived.

Graham.

Tim,

My conclusion therefore is that 33478 Pte Gilbert Bilcliffe was serving with the 2nd Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment and was transferred to 41st Labour Company, Labour Corps and renumbered 24106.

Graham.

Thank you Steve and Graham for the prompt replies. I really appreciate this.

Looking in British Regiments E A James I see the Lincs had 18 battalions including the 12th which was the only Labour battalion. I can't find any reference to the 2nd Infantry Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment. Can you tell me about the origins of this company and how it relates to the other Lincs battalions. I've not heard of it before. Would Bilcliffe have transferred there from one of the other Lincs battalions or been posted directly from recruitment. Tim

Tim,

There's very little I can tell you about the Infantry Labour Companies apart from they were formed in late 1915 and all were based in the UK on fatique duties. It is possible that Gilbert may have been downgraded medically to have been sent to this unit, but someone with more knowledge regarding his Lincolnshire Regimental number may be able to tell you whether or not he served in any previous Linc's Battalions.

If he served overseas then he will more likely to be found in the Labour Corps Medal Roll Books, but without the coding from an MIC it would mean trawling through them all. At the same time a search through the burnt and unburnt service records might just get lucky and all of your answers would be there.

Best of luck anyway,

Graham.

Thanks for the time you spent on this Graham. I'm sure his son will appreciate it. Regards Tim. :D